CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Sarah Jane

Profile:
Female Newbie Seeking Guidence...

Hi All,

I have several friends that are avid Crossfitters, and I am interested in learning more. However, I had one friend who was injured badly while doing the CrossFit routine. Also, I came across this website while searching the pros and cons of CrossFit. What are your opinions?
Thanks for your help in advance!

SJ

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-02-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: not providing traffic to crap....

Old 07-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Laurie Bowler

Profile:
Re: Female Newbie Seeking Guidence...

Sarah,
Welcome. First, this is the CrossFit site so you'll find many here who love it. Searching for the "cons" of CrossFit will no doubt return a slew of people who didn't excel at it or, more likely, those who know nothing about it and just like to rattle on about how horrible/wrong/dangerous it is.

For anyone interested in it, try it. It may or may not be for you. Your best bet as a beginner is to find an affiliate close to you and check it out. Ask questions, try a workout. You can certainly do this on your own, but its more fun in a group.

If you're on your own, check the "start here" section on the main page and follow the Brand X scaled workouts. You'll want to start slowly and be smart about it. Read here, ask questions.

Again, welcome. You'll find this group friendly, helpful, and supportive. Maybe thats why so many people can't stand us - we're nice.

Laurie

Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Welcome Sarah!

There's another thread going around trying to isolate why random dudes on the internet feel the need to hate on CrossFit.
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=49165 WFS

The particular article you brought up, Sarah, is especially vitriolic. Even with all that person's anger and hate for us, he still says:

"Admittedly, CultFit is better than much of what I see going on in the gym." Hm...

All I'd ask you Sarah, is to have an open mind. If you search the web long enough, you'll find hateful, misinformed blogs on any topic conceivable. These boards here, especially the "testimonials" section, is where I'd point you if you're looking for good info about real people using CrossFit to dramatically change their lives for the better.

As for the injury topic specifically, perhaps others with more knowledge and experience than me can chime in, but I would expect most folks would say that injuring oneself doing CrossFit tends to happen when people chase heavier weights and faster times without bothering to warmup and/or not getting proper coaching and information about how to perform the movement properly.

I've done CrossFit for 8 months, alone, without injury. My form is definitely not perfect, but I always introduce new movements slowly, watch the freely available demos and instruction here, check the CrossFit journal (a bargain at $25 a year) for really in-depth help and coaching, and would recommend the exact same for any beginner.

Just don't write us off based on one angry person with no cited sources on the internet. Good luck!

Last edited by Matt Hitt : 07-29-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

*shrug* This reputed obnoxious CultFit zealot must exist somewhere -- so many people claim to have encountered him -- but he doesn't train at my affiliate.

Any intense training carries a risk of injury. A good trainer/teacher should know how to minimize that risk, but it's never going to be zero. Without knowing what happened to your friend, it's impossible to say what went wrong. The most common cause of injury is failure to scale based on your ability, so please do visit the BrandX scaled workouts if you're diving in on your own. If you visit an affiliate, discuss your concerns and make sure you're comfortable before signing up.

Welcome!

Katherine

Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Ditto what everyone else has said.

I am coming from a competitive soccer background and have always been plagued by knee and ankle injuries. I started trying to get back in shape on April 1 by training for a 5k. I had patella femoral syndrome within 2 weeks and could barely walk. Since starting at a CrossFit affiliate on June 3, I have had NOT ONE knee or ankle injury. Not even a twinge. Not from sprinting, not from box jumps, not from squatting 115 lbs.

Is there a risk of injury? Of course. But, playing soccer is statistically much more dangerous. There is a risk of injury with any training program or sport.

Give it a chance. Make sure you are scaling appropriately.

There's a great "Girl Power" thread here if you want to see what all the women on the boards are up to (WFS) - http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=23010

Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 AM   #6
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

That article was just hate-filled, had nothing valid to say against Crossfit. So we use the internet? So women feel included? So there's a lot of emphasis on form and intensity? Jeez, what's bad about that?

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-02-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Alix Clark

Profile:

That is a horrible article and a very scary website (the graphics down each side will be giving me nightmares for months). The internet is a fabulous tool, but makes it easy for the haters.

Sarah Jane - ditto what every else said. Find an affiliate, scale your workouts and enjoy the benefits that CF can give you.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
Chris Santilllo

Profile:

Wow... I'll admit some of the things are true. But are WAY to broad for
an argument. Of course if someone that isn't in shape and tries for the first time to do a full rxed wod there is a huge risk of injury. I mean hell I dirtbike and the same thing applies, if it's your first time riding and you go out trying to do hart attacks or can cans your in a huge risk if injury! I will say I totally agree with that rabdo clown or the puking mascot one. Ain't exactly a great image to represent the positives of crossfit. And that cult definition is total bull****. I mean by his terms that means skating, organized sports, anything competitive, dirtbiking can be defined in one way or another a cult. As far as the glassman thing I will admit I've never met him... But him being fat and out of shape isn't quite the best image for crossfit. Another thing I kinds agee about the possible hazards of crossfitting without an affiliate or a coach. There can be room for injury if not properly taught the basics movements and lifts. But oother than that he us full of ****. I've injured myself twice over since crossfitting by playing basketball and crossfit helped so much with my rehab.
I mean if it wasn't effective wht are pro athletes doing a form training just like crossfit ( is Kobe Bryant, dwayne wade, ladanian tomlinson). As for me I my continuos pr record setting, mile times, endurance, energy levels, injury rehab are personal testiments to crossfit. I mean if it was so bad why do so many armed forces people do it??

Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Oliver Gould

Profile:

Sarah, this is the CF forum, you're going to get a lot of positive responses if you ask whether CF is a good program here. There are several sides to this issue, you've seen two of them now (CF forums and that article). The debates over the good/bad of CF have gotten totally out of hand over time, which is why articles like the one you linked exaggerate the shortcomings and dangers of CF and also why you get responses like Rachel's that refuse to consider any criticism of Crossfit valid. I think the best thing to do is read both sides of the issue and make up your own mind - just keep the biases in mind.

If you do decide to pursue Crossfit specifically (I'd wholeheartly recommend some type of performance-based athletic training, CF or otherwise), try to get some coaching. If you can't, phase into it slowly and learn your strengths/limitations/goals as you go along.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
Scott Moore.

Profile:

The fact that the article comes from a website called, "crap" should be an indicator of what the website is all about. And it's not a website i would trust for workout advice. As it is, the article is focused on trying to convince you that Crossfit is a "cult". And his offhand comments and snide remarks under the photos strike me as him being immature. Though he tries to mask it with a bunch of pretty lanuage.

Injuries are a part of life. You can get injured just by walking down the street. It amazes me how many people forget that. No matter what you do there is always a risk of injury. The same holds true for sports and workout routines. Even if you warm-up and stretch perfectly every single day, you can still take a hockey stick to the face or a football helmet to the knee and become injured. The sooner you accept this fact, the better.

As far as advice, start slow and take your time in your progression. Crossfit isn't a short-term program like the 8 week programs you see in fitness magazines. Crossfit is built for the long haul and is meant to be a lifestyle change. Scale workouts in the beginning and make sure you incorperate new techniques slowly. No one will fault you for starting at lighter weights, and if they do...they aren't a true crossfitter. If you have an ego, get rid of it...the ego is what will get you injured by trying something that you aren't ready for.

If you can go to an affiliate, DO IT! It might be a bit expensive but you will get a lot more one-on-one attention that you need with learning new lifts. Beyond that, the people you work with will cheer you on and encourage. No one will look down upon you because in the end, we're all doing the same thing. Unlike bodybuilders who think their sh*t don't stink.

Finally, do your research. Crossfit isn't about telling you what to do. It will give you the WOD but it's up to you how you want to scale/approach it. If I you scale the weight and the workout is too easy...then add more weight the next time. If the weight is too much, scale it back. It's up to you to listen to your body and to take care of it. We all come into this program at different levels with different goals. Focus on YOUR goals and YOUR progress and you will do fine.

Welcome a board, hope you stay with it.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-04-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Closed Thread