CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
Re: Good time for Hero WOD JT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Emers View Post
I was thinking after I posted yesterday that it MAY be possible for someone like Dan Bailey to get around 5 minutes. Short limbs with crazy strength/strength endurance, the workout is made for his body type. Still, I think he would be in the 6:30-7:30 range.

It is a super deceptive workout on paper if you haven't experienced it. Your shoulder strength really goes down the toilet after the first round and things really slow down.
I gotta try this haha...sometimes the ones that appear easy on paper are the worst.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

I have only done the workout 1 time.. 7:24.. but I am good at push ups, HSPU and ring dips..

First 21 blaze thru..
15's not so much..
9's had to break up the push ups into 1's with short rest...

Keep in mind I can do 40 HSPU un broken, 30 ring dips ub and 75 push ups..

Its a killer one on the triceps and shoulders.. heck even the abs take a hit.

I look forward to doing it again. I will do one leg kipping HSPU from the start to save my power.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Jesse Emers

Profile:

The times I quoted were considering strict hspu's. I don't know what kipping would do to the time.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Emers View Post
The times I quoted were considering strict hspu's. I don't know what kipping would do to the time.
strict over kipping forsure!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Ring dips and push-ups are normally pretty easy for me. I typically do HSPU at about 15 unbroken maybe as many as 17 or 18. I think part of my struggle was my shoulders were super sore from heavy push press end of last week but for me it just taxed my whole upper body especially shoulders upper chest and triceps!! Deceiving on paper is an understatement for me at least! Lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
Lex Ozias

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZyjCAH4Ps
This is me doing JT a couple months ago.
time was 5:55. A lot harder than I expected. The combination is brutal but good WOD. Some of the best guys could get under 5 for sure!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Ozias View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZyjCAH4Ps
This is me doing JT a couple months ago.
time was 5:55. A lot harder than I expected. The combination is brutal but good WOD. Some of the best guys could get under 5 for sure!
That is definitely some strong work man. Please take no offense from this, but I challenge you to do it again and post another video with legitimate reps. Many of the HSPUs were incomplete because you were already halfway down from the wall when you locked out your arms. Same thing with the ring dips, you were jumping off the rings before lock out (not a huge deal, but still not legit). The biggest deal was your push-ups. The rx crossfit push-up is hips and chest touching the ground each rep. Also, finish the rep out in a plank completely locked out.

Making these changes will increase your time, but from what I see, you'll still get a great score. Perhaps you'll even beat your time if you've gotten stronger since then. Either way, I think it will make a great demo for this thread.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
Lex Ozias

Profile:

No offence taken. After watching the video I could see some of my reps were effy. I did this in my apartment weight room and not at my box so if I was there my coaches would have told me.
I also like what spealer says about intensity vs perfect reps. Sometimes in practice your reps don't have to be "perfect" as long as your intensity is high. But of course if you always do bad reps then you will get used to it that way. I feel like u need to find that line. And for the open/regionals ill be damn sure to practice perfect reps

I also think these are hard movements to judge on your own because while doing the workout I thought I was fully locked out on the ring dips but as you can see some are not. Thanks for the critique tho I might do it again this week and see how it goes!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Ozias View Post
No offence taken. After watching the video I could see some of my reps were effy. I did this in my apartment weight room and not at my box so if I was there my coaches would have told me.
I also like what spealer says about intensity vs perfect reps. Sometimes in practice your reps don't have to be "perfect" as long as your intensity is high. But of course if you always do bad reps then you will get used to it that way. I feel like u need to find that line. And for the open/regionals ill be damn sure to practice perfect reps

I also think these are hard movements to judge on your own because while doing the workout I thought I was fully locked out on the ring dips but as you can see some are not. Thanks for the critique tho I might do it again this week and see how it goes!
I'd say you are a lucky man to have an apartment weight room with free weights and a squat rack! They are very hard movements to judge on your own. They are even tough to judge in competitions, especially ring dips (both depth and lockout).

Although, like I said before, the ring dips and hspu's weren't that big of a deal and would be an easy fix. It looked like fixing the push-up depth would be the only thing that would really effect the workout time.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Just a question but the form you used on the ring dips is that proper Kipling for the ring dips? I did strict ring dips in my workout so I'm sure that cost me a lot of time. I am pretty new to crossfit so everything I do is strict no Kipling as I am not sure on Kipling form. Plus all my workouts are at home so no coach.