CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Unexpected crashing

This is a post from my blog which details my problem.... and the fitday page referenced in it. Anyone with an idea of what may be lacking, feel free to advise. The fitday page is rough, but it's pretty damn close.

Quote:
I've taken today to rest (after work at least) as well, because I am just insanely tired. It's bizarre. We were walking round the shops earlier and I just had to cut it short and go back to the car, I was just spacing out and dead on my feet. It doesn't make much sense because I'm getting 7-8 hours a night, I'm eating a ****-ton of food, and tons of fat in there. I did a rough average day on fitday and it came back with 2,500~ calories, 25% protein, 25% carbs, 50% fat. So I should be flying! And I was, earlier in the week, but starting yesterday I've just crashed, big style. Which is very annoying as I don't even have enough energy to walk the dog (I stand still and half-doze while she runs around the field) despite eating 100% clean, real food at a good ratio for the past thirteen days. It doesn't make sense!! I've been fighting sleep since midday. Why?
Fitday page WFS

Edit: forgot to mention, I've been eating no grain/dairy/sugar/processed food for thirteen days now. So this bugs me even more.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Unexpected crashing

Jonathan,

What was your diet like before? Did you experience any low energy episodes prior to this after changing up your diet? Your body may just be finally making an adjustment (delayed) to your new diet.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Max Lambert

Profile:

Maybe kill the 3 bananas and sweet potato in the same day. Its a lot of carbs really fast. Maybe try some greens (kale, spinach, broccoli)
Old 01-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Max, thanks, I was thinking about cutting fruit in favour of more veg.

Scott, my diet was similar but with more cheat foods, not terrible but not great either. I did have the odd mega tired crash before, I just wasn't expecting it with this kind of eating.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

What's your training like? 2500 calories is not much if you are training like a madman. Might want to google "adrenal fatigue". My advice, take a week off training....eat...sleep and see what happens. If you need exercise go walking/hiking. Your body may be just burned out and needs a break.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
This is a post from my blog which details my problem.... and the fitday page referenced in it. Anyone with an idea of what may be lacking, feel free to advise. The fitday page is rough, but it's pretty damn close.

Fitday page WFS

Edit: forgot to mention, I've been eating no grain/dairy/sugar/processed food for thirteen days now. So this bugs me even more.
Alot of folks doing the Anabolic Diet have a big-time crash day between day 9 and 12 of the 12 low-carb days that start the diet. I'm doing it now and crashed at day 10. Virtual Shoveling on Monday like to have killed me. Just no energy at all.

You're eating considerably more carbs than allowed on the AD, but around 100-130 (minus fiber) is still pretty low. I'd bet you're seeing a similar low-carb crash.

The good news is on the AD, people almost look forward to the crash because it means they're adapting to the lower carb levels. After I crashed on VS day, the rest of my week's WOD's were great. Halfway through my carb-up right now, looking forward to Monday.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Also, did this crash come after you ate three bananas?

I'd ditch the 'naners for a lower-GI fruit. Hard to tell from fitday, but if you ate those three with little or nothing else, you probably suffered a big insulin spike and subsequent crash. Heck, even if you ate them with the mackerel and nuts, you still would have had a big insulin hit.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Really? I was kinda relying on the mackerel and nuts to counter the insulin spike. Balls. I'll just have bananas post-workout then.
That bit about the common crashes around this time is very reassuring to read! If it all perks up again over the weekend then I'll be very happy indeed.
(That rhymed, so it's true.)

Mike, I have an active job (mail) which involves fast walking or cycling with a 16kg ish bag on my shoulder for about 3 1/2 hours in the morning. Then I have my workout mid-late afternoon, with some TKD training peppered in between. Oh, and a long dog walk. I don't sit still until night falls!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:

The only thing I can tell you is that when I crash and have no energy it's because I'm not eating enough. Either that or I am about to be sick. That's what it means when it happens to me.

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Jason Lin

Profile:

I'm like Camille. Yesterday I had eggs and bacon for breakfast and then got through the rest of the day on two larabars and coffee. Got on the rower for an easy 5k after work and almost died ... quit after 3500m.