CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Russ Greene

Profile:

I did a quick search and couldn't find any info about bouncing deadlifts off the ground at the bottom. Now I don't mean doing so violently, but rather in a smooth touch and go style rather than pausing each rep at the bottom to regrip. With high rep deadlifts not having to pause at the bottom each time makes a pretty significant difference. Is this unsafe, unproductive, or unfunctional?

Previously Masquerading as Ross Greenberg
Old 06-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I think it's fine, it's all about external object control. If touch and go deads improve your EOC (swish acronym!) then it's definately good stuff.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
i would agree with graham. i use this tech. when doing high rep deads and i have never had any ill effects from it.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

I think most (all?) of the better performing CF'ers use the touch-n-go method with high rep deads. I can't see you being able to break the 5 minute barrier on Diane without it.

I've done it since pretty early after starting the WOD with no ill effect. As long as you concentrate on your form and start light, I'm all for it.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Just keep the form tight and there are no problems with the touch and go. There was some speculation here some time ago as to whether touch and go would adversely effect starting strength...IMO it might even help it.

Keep in mind that much of athletics involves learning to optimally benefit from elastic rebounds, whether that rebound is from our own bodies or an object we are moving.
Robb
Old 06-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
Brendan Melville

Profile:
I seem to remember reading an article, and it said one should not do touch and go. The argument is that when deadlifting, the object is to create enough force to move an amount of weight from a dead hault, and explode off the ground. With touch and go, there is more innertia, and thus less "new" force required to move it for the second repitition. I guess this argument is not as valid for high rep timed workouts, but in a single rep, or low rep workout, more force will be required from a dead standstill.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
Gary John

Profile:

When I try and bounce deadlifts, I end up getting the "purple finger" on one hand. For what I do, after each lift, I let go, straighten up and shoot back down. It takes a little longer, but I'm picking up a dead bar. This helps a lot for sets of 5x5 for 300. Even when picking light, I've read (way too much conflicting info on the web) that you shouldn't bounce. But, this is exercise, not religous dogma.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
Russ Greene

Profile:

Thanks for the help, guys. I agree that for low reps and heavy weights, pausing makes sense, especially when the sole focus is building strength and power. However with high rep deads touch and go provides for a much better workout in that you can do a lot more work in less time, resulting in more of a metabolic conditioning effect, rather than a grinding strength-based workout.

Previously Masquerading as Ross Greenberg