CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Casey Jordan

Profile:
Explosion techniques

I'm having some explosion problems, my back squat is 405, front is 355, I can deadlift 455. But I can only power clean 225 and snatch 185, I've been told multiple times that I should be able to do more weight than that. I've been told I'm not explosive enough, what are some drills or technique ques I can do to work on explosiveness. Sorry for the PR info but I felt like it could help knowing more info on my situation. I would appreciate any feed back I can get.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Larry Larned

Profile:
Re: Explosion techniques

Your problem is probably with your technique. Some video would make it easier to get some help on here.

Do you have a weightlifting coach? How much do you practice? What programming are you following?

Some drills for more "explosion" would be cleans and snatches from multiple positions. Start with a double from the hang at the knee, and work to heavy. Then from the power position, then from the high hang.

From there, you can work into complexes with pauses and different positions, but if "explosion" is the problem, you probably want to spend a lot of time at the mid-thigh and hip.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Casey Jordan

Profile:

Yes I have a strength coach, and I'm doing a program that he created. I have a power clean/snatch + 2 hang clean/snatches that I do twice a week. I've also started incorporating clean pulls and snatch pulls as well. I've been told, that I don't stay back on my heels long enough, and I don't open up my hips all the way. But when I do open my hips up all the way, I can't drop fast enough to get underneath the bar.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Your numbers for BS and DL were basically the same as mine when I was lifting more.

My clean was 275 but of a while I was stuck at 225-235. All it took was practicing the technique for 2-3 months 2x a week.

The snatch and clean require good technique to make good progress. Sure we can "muscle" up a certain amount but you have hit that point where technique is now what you need.

Find a good coach, practice form and those numbers will go up.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Casey Jordan

Profile:

Thank you sir. I appreciate the feedback
Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Shawn basically stresses the concept. Both lifts are technical and you need really know where to applied the muscle on the pulls.

It's pliť drive a manual tranny car. If you don't apply enough pressure to the clutch, the car lags and sputters. If you apply too gas, the engine revs like a squirrel in a cage , and you go no where. You need to find the power band and work within.
Oly lifting is the same, Technique and applying it within your powerband and you will avoid saying oh **** and dumping the bar.

Find an experienced coach, You will see a diff
Old 02-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Struan Potter

Profile:

Improve your technique and do some jumping. Broad jumps, hurdle jumps, box jumps etc. No more than 25 jumps per session, 2 sessions per week, focus on the quality of the jumps.