CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-25-2015, 12:52 AM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Heavy deadlift reps, TnG or no TnG?

PLers round the upper back but not the lower. Very often in competition, dunno about in training.

As a WLer, most do not allow rounding ever. However, the Chinese find it acceptable and do a few exercises where they purposely round it.

Dare aren't you a taller, skinnier guy?

Personal opinion is that YOU should not do TnG DL unless you need to train it for a competition.

For something that isn't really heavy, not a big deal. I wouldn't be worried about doing it with 225 or 275 or maybe even 315. I did do reps with 315 a few months ago but it was with a reset. That kind of weight is something I wouldn't mind going TnG with either though and it's about 84% of the last time I DL for a max but 75% of my best in hook (I've pulled 205kg in straps on a clean pull but 190ish, give or take 5kg in hook).
Old 01-25-2015, 04:14 AM   #12
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Skinny yes, tall...not so much, only 179cm or 5.9 I believe, or 5.8.

Anyhow, doing some research and I found info that sumo DL is better for carryover to WL, I have no goals to be a better PL, but for WL I do. And WL is a big part of CF, while PL isnt.
I believe its better to go sumo, and only use conventional in wods, light weight.

Agree?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #13
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post

Anyhow, doing some research and I found info that sumo DL is better for carryover to WL, I have no goals to be a better PL, but for WL I do. And WL is a big part of CF, while PL isnt.
I believe its better to go sumo, and only use conventional in wods, light weight.

Agree?
I've never heard anyone say sumo has more carryover to WL before. If anything the thing that has the most carryover is clean grip deadlifts (with feet same stance as when you clean)

Now I wouldn't say that alternating one then the other (sumo and conv) is not a bad idea...you can also do other variations of DL, such as:

RDL
SLDL
Snatch grip DL
Block DL/pull
Deficit DL
Speed pulls
Old 01-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Never training the eccentric phase seems to leave a hole in your training if you ask me. I can certainly see circumstances where you focus on the concentric phase, and also simplify the lift by limiting it to the concentric phase--maybe have track athletes or football players just do the concentric phase and drop the weight on the deadlift--for safety reasons and lack of time to work on form and get them to do touch and go deadlifts. But if you are looking for everything you can to improve strength, leaving out eccentric phase training doesn't make sense. It seems to ignore an entire body of research suggesting that variation in the tempo of lifts can bring positive adaptions.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #15
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:

Agree?

Can you please provide links to this research? Before I'd buy into it, I'd like to see at least 4 or 5 well-recognized S&C coaches who subscribe to and promote this theory.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #16
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
No.

Sumo DL allows someone who is a better squatter with a long torso or iffy back do better on the DL than conventional. Also less ROM, duh.

Better carry over for WL is a Clean DL which is not merely a DL in double hook grip. Positions and movement is different.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:40 AM   #17
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Can you please provide links to this research? Before I'd buy into it, I'd like to see at least 4 or 5 well-recognized S&C coaches who subscribe to and promote this theory.
Sorry, my statement was a bit vague. There are no researches in either way, so we cant know for sure.

But I meant personally for me, the sumo should provide more carry over to WL instead of conventional. I've read some stuff and it basicly says conventional DL can offer poor motor control carry over to WL as to sumo it is a bit better. As hips in sumo are not as high as in conventional.

I might be completely off, thou.

PS, I try to do other variations of DL aswell, just wanted to point out that my main DL lift will change to sumo, as I am experiencing some SI joint pain and I want to see how will it do with sumo (on top of my theory of carryover to WL.) I will also ditch the heavy TnGs, I guess they are for the most advanced lifter, not a beginner.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #18
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Sorry, my statement was a bit vague. There are no researches in either way, so we cant know for sure.

But I meant personally for me, the sumo should provide more carry over to WL instead of conventional. I've read some stuff and it basicly says conventional DL can offer poor motor control carry over to WL as to sumo it is a bit better. As hips in sumo are not as high as in conventional.

I might be completely off, thou.

PS, I try to do other variations of DL aswell, just wanted to point out that my main DL lift will change to sumo, as I am experiencing some SI joint pain and I want to see how will it do with sumo (on top of my theory of carryover to WL.) I will also ditch the heavy TnGs, I guess they are for the most advanced lifter, not a beginner.
Yes you are. Sumo deadlifts limits the workload on the quads and puts it on the glutes and hamstrings, whereas during the snatch and the clean the load is shared on the quads, lower back, hamstrings and glutes.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #19
Chris Caruso

Profile:

Quote:
You see, the eccentric component, or lowering phase of the deadlift can often be the riskiest part. The last thing you ever want to do is a slow eccentric on a deadlift.
Weasel words in claims should always raise red flags. (w/fs)