CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Could anyone suggest what size of "Giant Rubber bands" I should get? I think they may be helpful for assists with Pullups (I use an old Pullup/dip stand in the garage). I saw the McMaster add from Monday.

Thanks,

DanO
Old 01-14-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Dan - I bought pairs of each the sizes and multiples of the smaller sizes from Iron Woody and they are great bands. (They make great bouncy swings for the kids too). To assist you with pullups you can loop two of them on your pull up bar and then put one foot into each one. How much help you need will determine which sizes you get. They have various sets of bands you can get but you should probably get at least a small pair and a medium pair.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Pat Janes

Profile:

I finally got a pair of bands hooked onto my power rings this morning.

I've been practicing partial crosses, but wanted to try the bands so that I could practice in a position closer to that of the real thing.

Works great! I could lower into the proper position; with the heavier bands (dark blue), I could almost hang in the correct position and push back up; effectively working presses.

It feels completely different to working partials; feel it in different parts of the shoulder.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Bicycle inner tubes are another cheap option - I have a 27" racing bike tube which I have cut either side of the valve. I then attach this with a slip-knot at either end to my rings. It's rather nerve-racking - you expect it to snap at any moment - but it stretches an awfully long way enabling you to do dips and pull-ups with the "band" under your knees.

My problem is that I struggle so much with pull-ups and dips that even with the band I can still only manage about 5 of each, so I haven't yet bothered to set it up for a WOD (time constraints are also a factor in this). I shall have to get hold of a 20" BMX tube and see if that makes any difference!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
What is the best way to attach the bands to the rings? It seems that they might interfere with the gripping of the rings.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
Pat Janes

Profile:

I loop them through themselves around the ring just next to the grip. They move occasionally and they get in the way a bit, but you can work around it.