CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-04-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Stumbled across this site:

http://www.paulingtherapy.com/book.html

Thought provoking.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:23 AM   #2
John de la Garza

Profile:
I've been taking about 5-10 grams of vit C for the last 5-7 years
I haven't had any flus or colds since then. I've done some other things to but I believe that I was problem living in a borderline vit C deficency state

Next time you feel like you are getting a cold, you know like achy and/or sorethroat, take 3 grams (not milli grams) on the hour for 4-5 hours, drink plenty of water and see how you feel the next day, I have done this to tons of people and seen what appears to be a cure for the common cold.

These are my expieriences with Vit C
Old 11-05-2004, 05:38 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
John, I'm on the "border" of getting a cold now, I've actually felt performance decrease. I will follow your suggestion and I'm going to pick up some Zicam (I've gotten decent results with it).
Old 11-05-2004, 07:37 AM   #4
John Walsh

Profile:
:crazy:
These claims are fishy at best.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...DSH/colds.html
Old 11-05-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
John Walsh

Profile:
There's more!

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...s/pauling.html

Old 11-05-2004, 09:33 AM   #6
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I feel that if it helps, then it doesn't matter whether or not the effect is related to the placebo effect or not. Dowsing, vitamin C therapy, hydrogen peroxide therapy....if it works for you, then it's worthwhile to pursue.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:09 AM   #7
John de la Garza

Profile:
make sure you realize that quackwatch is 'just another opinion' and not the one true source

things aren't always true just because you read them on quack watch

There are always skeptics

as primates we need vitmin C, we don't produce it like dogs for example

I think the recomended daily allowances are way too low

this is from my expierce not something I read on the internet

I firmly believe it is much more than a placebo

without Vit C you'd be dead, not to say that that this automatically means taking alot is good (I think it is, in this case)

I wouldn't say take a lot of zinc, too much an be toxic

but with C, your body will excrete what it doesn't need

I just don't think people in general get enough

If you believe in the bible and creation, it says our original diet was plants and fruits (high in C)

and if you believe we came from monkeys and are just great apes ourselves (highly advanced) look at the typical primate diet
high in fruit

now look at your own diet and consider how much vit c you get

I've been really impacted by my researching of Vit c over the last 10 years
Old 11-05-2004, 10:44 AM   #8
John Walsh

Profile:
Steve and John,

You're missing the point no one is contesting the need for vitamin C. That's not even on the table. Now that's out of the way.

Feelings have nothing to do with science. You obviously have not read the claims made or you’re not that discerning. We’re not talking about a wart remover. The guy made claims that Vitamin C could cure heart disease and cancer. This is a radical claim. Vitamin C does not cure colds or prevent colds let alone more serious diseases. THERE IS NO FOOLPROOFF WAY TO CURE OR PREVENT COLDS. You can reduce your likelihood by doing certain things and you can speed recovery with ample rest and fluids. Bilking people out of their hard earned money and giving false hope for people who are truly ill and should be seeking valid treatment is quackery. This vitamin C theory has been around for nearly 40 years. Nothing personal but I just can’t abide by such blatantly false claims, “since I’ve done X, I haven’t had Y in Z years.” Whose to say it was X that prevented Y? It could be a myriad of things or just plain dumb luck. It could be that X only works for your body and not mine. Maybe condition Y had just run its course. If you click through the site enough you will get to this: http://paulingtherapy.com/mcart/. This is the bottom line concerning these claims. Break out the credit cards boys.

Sorry to get so riled but I deal with this crap all the time in my line of work, no I am not an MD, and often see tragic results that occur when people put their good faith in quacks. Many were desperate to believe and were willing to except even a placebo effect. Unfortunately the treatment made their condition worse or they wasted precious time that could have been spent in constructive treatment. Sure, a couple vitamin C tabs surely can’t hurt. My gripe is with his overall theory and claims people make about vitamin C curing anything. It’s just a blatant falsehood.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
John de la Garza

Profile:
John W,

Vit C is tied to immune system functions, I have seen vit C cure colds in many people almost instanttly or at least overnight.

you so boldy state that is no one to cure colds..

maybe you should refrase that to be there is no way to cure colds that you know of or have expiereinced that would be more accurate

Vit C is widly available and very cheap, I'm not out to make money promoting its use

YOu say vit C doesn't cure anything... but one thing it does do is prevent a vit c defecency, which does cause probelms, specifcally in the immune system.

If you don't call that a cure, then that is fine, I would go as far to say that the 'common cold' isn't something that should be considered normal. My wife an I never get colds or flues and take no precations to avoid them.

I believe the human bodies immune system when properly facilitated is the thing that 'cures' or in my case prevents colds

Before I was taking vit C regularly I got regular colds and flues, like people at work. I thought it was normal.

I don't think it is dumb luck that since me and my wife have started taking regular amounts of vit C we have never had a cold

and that my parents colds rapidly go away upon heavy vit C usagae when they get their colds

there are many people that have agendas, not just the quacks as you put it
Old 11-05-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
John Walsh

Profile:
These are not my claims John they are backed by the best scientific studies to date. I'm a bio-statistician and work for a prestigious hospital system in Boston. We conduct a wide variety of research and I have done my share of work that examines to effect that various herbs, vitamins and potions have on the common cold and the prevention of the cold. The best prevention there is for the common cold by far is frequent hand washing. I’m not sure what kind of “research” you have been involved in but trust me if vitamin C worked the way you claim it does on you it would cost $80 a pill. Pauling could never prove his theory and I doubt you can either. Placebo effect does occur but it usually is nothing more than people thinking they feel better. In some cases vitamin C has reduced the severity of symptoms of a cold but so does chicken soup. I’m not contesting the necessity of vitamin C in a healthy diet. I’m not sure why you keep reverting to this. That’s a given but this can be obtained through a balanced diet without any need for supplementation. I could even tolerate anecdotal evidence about how it keeps people from getting colds but Pauling claimed that vitamin C could cure heart disease and cancer. We’re not talking prevention. We’re talking claims of a cure. He was brilliant to be sure but on this one he really lost his bearings. If we are led to believe in his claims then we have to conclude that people are choosing death to cancer as opposed to taking vitamin C. This my friend is preposterous.