CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-22-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
Israel Halperin

Profile:
on DD work outs such as 2-2-2-2-2-2 i can work my up to 150 kilos (330 pounds) this is usually my RM but only because my grip gives up about 80% on the way up.
i belive that if it wasnt for the grip i could get up to 400-450 pounds.

so, how should i deal with this problem?
either work on my grip strength and wait until it catchs up, switch my grip on the deadlift from both pronated to one hand pronated and one supinated, or simpley use straps ?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:30 AM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to exercises, and no, don't use straps. You provided the best answers yourself: work on your grip strength, and you can use a mixed grip in the meantime.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:28 AM   #3
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Always train the weakest link or you'll end up getting hurt. Grip strength is the way to go in this case.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 AM   #4
Sam Michaud

Profile:
Israel,

I was at the same point you were a few weeks ago. I could pick-up 330ish but could feel my grip starting to slip on the way up.

To fix the problem, I concentrated a bit more on using the hook grip and improving my grip strength. Then - poof - with very little other effort on the DL, I picked up 360 the other day with no major problem.

I think the combination of improved hook grip combined with modest increases in grip strength allowed me to make the jump. I also believe I could have gone farther if I were lifting SRTBs instead of steel plates as I was afraid I might drop the plates at the higher weight.

Sam
Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
If you came across a 300lb rock crushing someone's leg would you say "Hold on...let me go and get my straps and weight belt......"

No straps...No belts...if your grip is your weak point then work it, it will get stronger. Use some chaulk if you have to...but please no straps.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Honestly, why not work your DL until your grip fails and then use straps, and do some more grip work afterward (e.g., holding the bar for time)?

You don't have to call the with-straps max your max deadlift if you think that's dishonest. But why rob yourself of 10 or 20 extra kilos of loading on the posterior chain?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:51 AM   #7
Herb Sampson

Profile:
Grip keeps you honest. if you can not pull the weight without the straps, you should not be pulling the weight. i confess that when i started, i used straps cause i wanted big number...but the inflated big numbers got me a sore back.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
Ross Hunt

Profile:
if you can not pull the weight without the straps, you should not be pulling the weight.

Why not?

Sore backs come from breakdown of pulling technique, not keeping bar in, letting back collapse, etc...

In practice, obviously, it's easy to get in the habit of going up to 225 and then tossing on straps 'for the big weights,' and never developing your grip. But overloading the major muscle groups is good stuff. Legions of elite oly lifters can't be wrong...
Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
my philosophy, straight out of SS: your body's way of telling you your back can't safely handle a certain weight is by limiting your grip.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I'm of a belief that my back can write checks that my body can't cash. Therefore, I only introduce straps on sets that are over 5 reps and in excess of 500 pounds.

Strapped, I can partial in the high 8s. I might be able to get 9 from knee height. Unstrapped, I'd be lucky to pull 7.

I have, however, noticed that since I started doing ring work and more olympic type movements that my grip strength has improved. I pulled 575 for an easy 5 a few weeks ago with a conventional stance without straps. I honestly didn't think I could do it. But I did.

If you want to push your thresholds. Do partials in a rack with straps with about 125% of your what you project your max to be.

Here's one of my favorite workouts that doesn't follow any guidelines, it's just something I do about twice a month.

I do Powercleans on my deadlift day....sorry, I'm on old school powerlifter. Normally, what I do, is I do powercleans from the floor until I can't get at least three consecutive reps. Whatever that weight might be. Normally, it's around 275 or 300. Then I start my deadlift workout where ever I ended with the deads. My back and hips are already warmed up, so I'm raring to go. When I peak out with a good set of 5 or 8 with the deads (it varies from time to time; sometimes I do sets of 20), I put whatever weight that was in the rack and pull from about knee height. I only do this about twice a month. Normally on the heavier of those two days, I'll go to about 630 or 650 with the deads, then about 750 to 800+ with the partials. Normally on the lighter of those two days, I'll skip the partials and do 505 for 20 or try to do 595 for 10 to 12. I will use straps on all partial sets and on the top heavy sets with the deads, whatever that might be and how I'm feeling.

After that, I'll do good mornings. then I'll do reverse hypers. then I'll do some pull ups or rows. Sometimes I'll do some light hamstring work to hit my entire posterior chain. It's an absolutely brutal workout when I do the partials - hence, I can only muster up enough energy to do it once about every three to four weeks.

I've also added some kettlebell swings to this workout after the power cage war. It's brutal. Simply brutal, but I love it.

All the best,
Arden