CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #961
James Khetan

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Rogers View Post
I would suggest following the 3-day template. The running that you described isn't going to interfere much with the lifts and you have some room to put on some strength so you'll benefit from the extra day of lifting. You sound like you are going to be pretty smart about ramping up the running over time so you should be able to easily judge if you push too hard and it starts affecting the lifts. The squats are probably going to be the first place where you notice any problems.

Take a look at the Run Forrest, Run template in the book. With that template, he alternates the 3-day lifting template with running days. The running isn't exactly as you want to do but it should show you that it is possible to mix the GSLP 3-day template with running.
Just re-read this. I'm happy that the running won't interfere with the lifting, but will the lifting interefere with the running? The endurance is more of a priority at this stage.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #962
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Khetan View Post
Just re-read this. I'm happy that the running won't interfere with the lifting, but will the lifting interefere with the running? The endurance is more of a priority at this stage.
For me, it has always been running affecting the lifting and not the other way around.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #963
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

That is some insane mileage.

I was gonna say I switched my training to:

Day 1: run intervals. About 1.5-2mi of volume right not including walking for rest
Day 2: Barbell/DB stuff in the gym (full body of compound lifts and simple strength work) and possibly a short conditioner at the end.
Day 3: Light day, maybe do some BW stuff at home. Handstand work, Ring work, Lunges/Pistols/BW squats. More of active rest.

I had been doing the intervals after the barbell day and noticed my lower back was something of a limiter and I was probably slower on the splits.

I still have some decent work in on the squats and pulls the day after the intervals though my hips and quads are not quite fresh and feel a bit tight. I not really pushing my strength atm as I want to bring up my conditioning level and lean out and just maintain strength. I also don't feel like training 3-4hrs/day in the gym and so have walked away from that.

However, that sort of mileage makes me think the hips, legs, and calves would be far more fatigued even if you are adapted to it.

I'd prioritize the running if that's your goal, but bare in mind the lower body strength will probably be hampered.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #964
James Khetan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
That is some insane mileage.

I was gonna say I switched my training to:

Day 1: run intervals. About 1.5-2mi of volume right not including walking for rest
Day 2: Barbell/DB stuff in the gym (full body of compound lifts and simple strength work) and possibly a short conditioner at the end.
Day 3: Light day, maybe do some BW stuff at home. Handstand work, Ring work, Lunges/Pistols/BW squats. More of active rest.

I had been doing the intervals after the barbell day and noticed my lower back was something of a limiter and I was probably slower on the splits.

I still have some decent work in on the squats and pulls the day after the intervals though my hips and quads are not quite fresh and feel a bit tight. I not really pushing my strength atm as I want to bring up my conditioning level and lean out and just maintain strength. I also don't feel like training 3-4hrs/day in the gym and so have walked away from that.

However, that sort of mileage makes me think the hips, legs, and calves would be far more fatigued even if you are adapted to it.

I'd prioritize the running if that's your goal, but bare in mind the lower body strength will probably be hampered.
Thanks for this.

3x20m slowly building to 3x60m is insane mileage?! I'm going to stick to 3x a week for as long as I can ... Then adjust down to 2x.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #965
James Khetan

Profile:

First workout yesterday:

Press:

95lbs x 5,5,7

Squat:

135lbs x 5,5,10

I had another rep or 2 in the tank for squats. I was going to keep the press weight at 95 (or even reduce to 85) and up the squats by 5lbs. Sound good?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #966
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Khetan View Post
I had another rep or 2 in the tank for squats. I was going to keep the press weight at 95 (or even reduce to 85) and up the squats by 5lbs. Sound good?
Staying at the same weight never works for me. I'd personally either drop the weight a bit so I could get the recommended 10 reps or I'd just suck it up and keep adding weight as prescribed until I hit a reset. It depends on how you feel about the lift and if you think you might be able to get a good progression going before hitting the reset versus putting yourself in a hole early on. How did those 7 reps feel? You are new enough to this that you might be able to push through without a problem. In any case, you are just starting out so whatever you do now won't have much long term bearing so don't over think it.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #967
James Khetan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Rogers View Post
Staying at the same weight never works for me. I'd personally either drop the weight a bit so I could get the recommended 10 reps or I'd just suck it up and keep adding weight as prescribed until I hit a reset. It depends on how you feel about the lift and if you think you might be able to get a good progression going before hitting the reset versus putting yourself in a hole early on. How did those 7 reps feel? You are new enough to this that you might be able to push through without a problem. In any case, you are just starting out so whatever you do now won't have much long term bearing so don't over think it.
Good advice - thank you!

Today's workout:

Bench:

135 x 5,5,13

Dead:

220 x 10

All good. I'm going to increase the weight on press. I'm going to do the powerlifting template so I'm cool with a weight I can only get 7 on for now.

Thanks all

Last edited by James Khetan : 07-30-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #968
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
3x20m slowly building to 3x60m is insane mileage
I'm just not an ultradistance runner nor ever was so that sounds insane to run 60 miles a day 3x a week. In XC we might have had some days that were 20-25 but I don't think we did 3.

Unless we are talking meters.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #969
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I think he's talking minutes.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #970
James Khetan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post