CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Benjamin Evans

Profile:
crossfit certified/personal trainer

WoW its amazing how many people will annoy the hell out of you when they tell you to get a real job, you can't make money doin that!! well thats what my father has concluded!! he's an ATTORNEY(RESPECT)!! but I don't think I want to go down that path, its an option and I have been preparing for the LSAT for months now but if law school is anything like the LSAT, NO THANK YOU!! will someone please give me some much needed info, so I can explain to him that it can be done! I absolutely LOVE the intensity crossfit gives me it makes someone who's in real good shape put there elbows on their knees and say F--k! and keep goin. How should I handle this?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Georgia Nixon

Profile:
Re: crossfit certified/personal trainer

First, live your life for yourself and no one else. Even Mommy & Daddy.

Second, it's the old saying: Do what you love and never work a day in your life.

Why bother wasting energy on even thinking about a life that you aren't passionate about?

Finally - maybe you should have informational interviews with current law students and practicing attorneys (in different specialties) to get a feel for if that life really is something YOU want...

Last edited by Georgia Nixon; 05-09-2008 at 01:43 PM..
Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Evans View Post
WoW its amazing how many people will annoy the hell out of you when they tell you to get a real job, you can't make money doin that!! well thats what my father has concluded!! he's an ATTORNEY(RESPECT)!! but I don't think I want to go down that path, its an option and I have been preparing for the LSAT for months now but if law school is anything like the LSAT, NO THANK YOU!! will someone please give me some much needed info, so I can explain to him that it can be done! I absolutely LOVE the intensity crossfit gives me it makes someone who's in real good shape put there elbows on their knees and say F--k! and keep goin. How should I handle this?
A few things here. First, if you're a recent grad/prospective grad, there's a decent chance you're already burned out.

Second, law school is nothing like the LSAT. Incidentally, the practice of law is nothing like law school.

Third, you have to recognize the difference between a vocation and an avocation. Making a living as a trainer is more than just doing CF and helping other people do CF. You have to invest a lot of resources and a lot of hours and deal with a lot of (sometimes crappy) clients before you start getting yours (this is not much different than private legal practice).

Read Coach Rut's and Andy Petranek's articles in this month's CFJ. They deal with this topic.

I can't advise you one way or the other, but I can tell you that the law isn't going anywhere (unless you're involved in products litigation). If personal training is an itch that you need to scratch, then scratch it for a couple years and see where you get. Besides, law students that have real world experience are much more bearable than those that came straight out of undergrad.

There are a startling number of attorneys and law students in CF. Perhaps it has something to do with the competitive nature and masochistic personalities that help you in both. Unfortunately, you would be entering the profession at the time when public sentiment is pretty low. Once you get past that, things are peachy.

Last edited by Gant Grimes; 05-09-2008 at 02:23 PM..
Old 05-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Don't discount what your father is saying. He wants you to have a good job with a secure paycheck. Have a plan, know what you're doing, and make a good, thriving business. You don't want to just jump in without careful planning.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Benjamin Evans

Profile:

Thank you all so much!! Im going explorin
Old 05-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

The world does not need any more lawyers.