CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Marcus Diaz

Profile:
Pre workout snack

Would an apple and a slice of deli meat turkey be ideal an hour before working out? Could I get away with just an apple or will the lack of protein hinder me?
20-Overhead Press:185 Squat:440 Deadlift: 485 Bench:275 Clean:305 Snatch:225 Fran Time: 2:28
Old 07-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Marcus Diaz

Profile:
Re: Pre workout snack

Or skip the apple and have turkey on whole wheat bread with no dressing or anything else added?
20-Overhead Press:185 Squat:440 Deadlift: 485 Bench:275 Clean:305 Snatch:225 Fran Time: 2:28
Old 07-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

Marcus, when do you eat a meal prior to that? There may be no need for the snack.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Marcus Diaz

Profile:

Ideally I would have a sufficient meal beforehand but I work at a day camp during the week. My group eats lunch around 1130 (my meal consists of a salad the camp makes containing romaine lettuce, tomato, peppers, cucumbers, etc., and whatever protein they are serving that day. Usually varies from turkey, to grilled chicken, to burgers). My day ends at 4 and the class starts at 530.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Diaz View Post
Ideally I would have a sufficient meal beforehand but I work at a day camp during the week. My group eats lunch around 1130 (my meal consists of a salad the camp makes containing romaine lettuce, tomato, peppers, cucumbers, etc., and whatever protein they are serving that day. Usually varies from turkey, to grilled chicken, to burgers). My day ends at 4 and the class starts at 530.
Ok, so you can't eat anything after lunch until after 4? If so, I think your proposed snack is a bit light. I think in your case a shake with protein and carbs right when you get off would be a great choice. Something along the lines of 20-30g of protein and 40-50g of carbs. You can add to that an apple or the like. I think that sort of snack would provide you good energy for training and not weigh you down.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Ok, so you can't eat anything after lunch until after 4? If so, I think your proposed snack is a bit light. I think in your case a shake with protein and carbs right when you get off would be a great choice. Something along the lines of 20-30g of protein and 40-50g of carbs. You can add to that an apple or the like. I think that sort of snack would provide you good energy for training and not weigh you down.
What Chris said. Maybe make the shake 50% bigger and drink that extra 30mins-1.5hrs before you workout. Timing depends on how you handle having fluids in your stomach and what the workout is.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Marcus Diaz

Profile:

The camp usually gets worried about allergies and bringing outside food in so the turkey and apple is something I can eat quickly and discreetly. I prefer to keep my protein shakes on post workout only (minimize the supplement intake as best as I can). But I may start doing a half scoop and an apple an hour before.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
The camp usually gets worried about allergies and bringing outside food in so the turkey and apple is something I can eat quickly and discreetly. I prefer to keep my protein shakes on post workout only (minimize the supplement intake as best as I can). But I may start doing a half scoop and an apple an hour before.
I think people here will vouch that I am not one to push a lot of protein consumption (in supplement form) on people, but since your schedule permits you to eat AFTER you train and not before why not take the shake before training as I have recommended?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Marcus Diaz

Profile:

I could drink the protein shake and an apple prior to my workout, but what would be ideal for post? I would usually have my whey shake and a banana immediately after the day's workout. I'm really not too fond of doubling on a protein shake a day but I may be willing to make an exception.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
I could drink the protein shake and an apple prior to my workout, but what would be ideal for post? I would usually have my whey shake and a banana immediately after the day's workout. I'm really not too fond of doubling on a protein shake a day but I may be willing to make an exception.
No need especially if you consume the shake beforehand. Just consume a meal as soon as possible after you train.