CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Marcus Diaz

Profile:
Performing the Open at college

I will be at school during the open so I won't be able to perform the workouts at my box back home. Will I be able to have my workouts scored if it isn't at an affiliate? I've been told that my school got affiliated but I am not sure.
20-Overhead Press:185 Squat:440 Deadlift: 485 Bench:275 Clean:305 Snatch:225 Fran Time: 2:28
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Performing the Open at college

I thinkna lvl1 have to count your reps, so a person, does not matter where its done.

Or am I wrong?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Christopher Morris

Profile:

You can submit scores either way:
- have an affiliate count your reps and verify your score. The affiliate has to a little leg work to verify scores, but I'd expect most if not all affiliates are going to do that. I'd call ahead to ask about dropping in for the Open workouts.
- submit a video of your workout. No affiliate needed.

From the rulebook (wfs):
c. Athletes must have their score validated either by performing the workout at a validly licensed CrossFit Affiliate gym in good standing under the observation of a Judge, or by uploading a video of their workout to the CrossFit Games website.

i. It is the sole responsibility of the Athlete to ensure the timely and successful submission of their workout each week. Submissions
that are incomplete (missing scores, name of Affiliate, name of Judge or containing video links which do not work, etc.), will not be
accepted.
ii. Only valid CrossFit Affiliates in good standing (as determined by CrossFit, Inc.) have the ability to officially validate non-video scores.
To opt-in to validate scores, Affiliate Managers must pass the online Judges Course, commit to upholding the standards and ethics
of the CrossFit Games and assert that they have the equipment, facility and Judges to administer the workout.
iii. It is the responsibility of the Athlete to find a CrossFit Affiliate where they can perform the workout and have it validated. Affiliates
are not required to host the Open and may have fees or special rules for the use of their facility. It is strongly advised that Athletes
contact the Affiliate prior to showing up to perform an Open workout.
iv. If no CrossFit Affiliate is available, the only alternative is to submit a video of the workout.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Steve Agocs

Profile:

Here is the 2014 Rulebook. Page 7/top of page 8 has the requirements. http://media.crossfit.com/games/pdf/...ook_140106.pdf. I think the judge + video + CrossFit affiliate manager thing is only if you think you're going to make it to Regionals and/or beyond. If you're looking just to get ranked in the Open then it's simple video submission as far as I can tell.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Marcus Diaz

Profile:

So I could simply upload the video to games.crossfit.com and i'll be set? Or should I sent the video to my Coach upon completion.
20-Overhead Press:185 Squat:440 Deadlift: 485 Bench:275 Clean:305 Snatch:225 Fran Time: 2:28
Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Christopher Morris

Profile:

If video submission is like last year, you upload it to YouTube, or Vimeo, etc. and submit the URL link to the CrossFit Games website.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

As for video submitting, is there a tolerance level for missed reps? Or its better to submit a video asap in case you need to repeat a wod?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
As for video submitting, is there a tolerance level for missed reps? Or its better to submit a video asap in case you need to repeat a wod?
There is some tolerance level, but I don't know that they publish it precisely. I've just read that, there is some threshold where, if you miscount by some number under it, they just correct it, but if you miscount by a number over it, the score is completely DQ'd.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Beth Martino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
It's actually a little bit more defined than last year, I think. From this year's Rulebook http://media.crossfit.com/games/pdf/...ook_140106.pdf (link WFS, PDF document) here are the possible judging outcomes for video submissions (section 7.f):
Quote:
f. There are four possible outcomes in the judging of video submissions:
i. Good
ii. Valid-Minor Penalty (results in subtracting one (1) to four (4) reps from score as needed; used for video submissions where the score needs to be adjusted by fewer than five (5) reps.)
iii. Valid-Major Penalty (results in subtracting 15 percent of total reps; used for video submissions where five (5) or more reps are bad.)
iv. Invalid (workout is rejected resulting in no score for the athlete and the possible removal of the video from the Games website)
If I were you I would submit my video as early as possible; then keep an eye on it and watch for judges ruling it "major penalty" or "invalid" in case you need to do it again. I'm not sure you would get an email saying it had been invalidated in time to do the workout again otherwise.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Michael Cook

Profile:

When the workouts are announced at games.crossfit.com (wfs) they will list movement standards and video submission standards. Make sure you pay attention to the video submission standards if you are going to do that. You will probably need to show things like the weights used, height of the box, and may be required to have another person and/or a clock visible during the workout.