CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Marcus Diaz

Profile:
Re: Pre workout snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Dietz View Post
I've noticed you talk a bunch about fruits and vegetables, but say you sometimes avoid the sweet potato and don't put your turkey on bread. I think you have the wrong idea about carbs. Fruits and vegetables are great, don't get me wrong, but the real calorie (energy) dense potatoes and grains will help you more than fruits and greens.
I eat a sweet potato with dinner every night I train. I try to steer clear of all forms of bread. Ideally I wouldn't mind losing some bodyfat and I feel bread wouldn't exactly help that.
20-Overhead Press:185 Squat:440 Deadlift: 485 Bench:275 Clean:305 Snatch:225 Fran Time: 2:28
Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnes Langston Jr View Post
What kind of carbs do you put in the shake?
It depends on the timing. For a pre-workout shake I would do something like oats. For a post-workout shake you want a simply carb which will be very quickly absorbed, so dextrose is great or maltodextrin.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
Travis Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Diaz View Post
Ideally I would have a sufficient meal beforehand but I work at a day camp during the week. My group eats lunch around 1130 (my meal consists of a salad the camp makes containing romaine lettuce, tomato, peppers, cucumbers, etc., and whatever protein they are serving that day. Usually varies from turkey, to grilled chicken, to burgers). My day ends at 4 and the class starts at 530.
Depending on your goals, of course.. I'd actually suggest taking some BCAAs before you get to the gym and mix an Intra-workout shake, sipping throughout your workout. The BCAAs will prevent your body from going to your muscles for energy and the intr-w/o drink will give you some energy and will replace glycogen stores.

This won't take away the hungry feeling, but once you start workout out that should subside anyways. But you will have the physical ability to have a complete workout.

I use this approach about once every 10 workouts, due to circumstances where I can't get a meal close enough to gym time.