CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Like all technologies, LASIK is constantly evolving. It looks like we are entering a new era with this procedure. At Skyvison, where I am the principle surgeon, we've been asking people who have already had LASIK to help us understand the process they underwent when they decided to have the surgery done, and when they decided WHO would do the surgery for them. We have asked only people who did NOT have surgery at Skyvision, hoping to remove any bias my own patients would have toward saying nice things about their surgeon to their surgeon:happy:.However, there are still some very powerful local biases here that skew our responses.

Proving that I really DID marry her for her brain, my darling wife suggested that the CF community would provide the perfect group to ask. Educational, occupational, and economic diversity, coupled with a sincere "help" ethic. (Of course, I did notice that my wife is also gorgeous, sexy, and incredibly handy!)

Full disclosure: I had LASIK in 1999, and have been performing LASIK and PRK since 1994. I'm 46 years old and have mild presbyopia (I wear reading glasses part-time and will wear them more as I get older). Not surprisingly, I'm delighted with my personal result and would do it again in a heartbeat.

So here goes. All of these questions assume that you are among the 98.5% of LASIK or PRK patients who are pleased with their result. If you have had LASIK or PRK done:

What were your main motivations to have the surgery?

What was the biggest barrier to having the surgery done? What was your greatest worry or concern prior to the surgery?

How did you choose your surgeon? How much did price have an effect on your decision?

What were your expectations regarding the entire experience (pre-op, surgery, and post-op)? How well did your surgeon and his/her center prepare you Did they meet the expectations they set? Did they meet your expectations?

If you had to go through the process again what would you do differently and why?

Again, these questions assume that you are generally pleased with your results. If you are uncomfortable answering in the thread feel free to email me; my personal email is in my profile. Thanks in advance for the help.

Darrell
Old 07-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Adam Noble

Profile:
I had LASIK surgery in the summer of 1996 (22 at the time). The main motivation was I have very sensitive eyes, and even the disposable contacts ended up bothering me after a few years, and even with anti reflective treatments, I can always see my eyes reflected back at me in glasses, giving me a headache. I also was an agressive snowboarder, and had too many instances of one contact drying out and flaking out of an eye at a critical point i.e. jumping off a 30 foot cliff into a pretty tight landing between trees (with one lens depth perception was shot).
I really wasn't concerned prior to the surgery. As the son of a surgeon, I tend to relax and put my faith in the skill of ther professional.
I chose the surgeon because he had worked on the eyes of some of my Mom's friends, and they all had spectacular results. At the time I think all prices were comparable, or at least they were on Long Island.
As for expectations, I was just looking forward to not having bloodshot eyes all the time. The surgeon was great and explained the process thoroughly.
If I did it again, I would have both eyes done at once, as I am told they do now. Back then they did one eye and I came back10 days later for the second.
Overall it is a fantastic procedure, and 10 years later my vision is still excellent.
I hope this has helped.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:
I'm 43 now and had Lasik at 41, almost 2 years ago. I've worn glasss/contacts all my life and in addition, I had astigmatism which required toric (sp) lenses which were very frustrating when playing sports or any activity, for that matter. I separated my shoulder Aug 2004, no fault of the contacts, and decided to look further into the surgery while I was recuperating. Living in NH, I knew a lot of people who traveled to Montreal for the procedure, had nothing but good reports and the price was right. I did the pre op and testing locally and my wife and I took a trip up north to get it done. My only concern was whether it would be successful or not. I had a very good result and still feel, nearly two years later, that it was the best thing I could have done for enjoyment of my activities. It is so nice to go play soccer, volleyball, play with the kids, go swimming, do Crossfit, etc with no concerns about putting contacts in, being careful not to dislodge them or get something in my eye. I can wear sunglasses normally which is a very good thing. I did my followup care locally with their affilite and can honestly say I am very happy with the whole process, I would recc'd it to anyone considering the surgery. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I get mine done this Friday. Perhaps I'll answer later. :-)
Old 07-06-2006, 02:05 AM   #5
Ken Thynes

Profile:
I had LASIK on my left (dominant) eye in early 2000. That eye was something like 20/200-I could barely read the "E", but my right eye was 20/20. I was tired of contacts, and wanted to be able to do the things I like without them, and with good vision. Bad eyesight in that eye was a pain in the butt when I was in the military. Just after I EAS'd, the Corps actually started giving free PRK for my MOS. Anyway, I took some time off from work while in Seattle, and just browsed the ads and talked to different outfits until I found one I liked. They were very educational, and explained the process very thoroughly. It was some of the best money I've ever spent! I can shoot, dive, spar, whatever, with no problems. My eyesight is still a bit better than 20/20 (it was 20/15 for quite a while). The only problem with LASIK is that if a person is in the military, you can get taken off jump or dive status-I had to lie to my reserve unit and tell them I had PRK. Apparently the military is worried the little flap might come off or something.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Ken, you still spar with no problems? I read that impact could cause the flap to tear apart ... true or not?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Adam Noble

Profile:
I'm sure Dr. White has a better explanation, but I was told not to get hit in the head right after the surgery. At the post surgery check up I asked about getting hit in the head and the doc (although grudgingly, as if I was going out with the intent of collecting concussions) said it shouldn't be a problem. I have never had a problem.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Anthony and Adam:

After a couple of months with LASIK it's very difficult to dislodge the LASIK cap. It takes the perfect amount of pressure applied at the perfect location with the perfect angle. Kind of a perfect storm, if you will. It's definitely not impossible, though. A friendly acquaintance who had his LASIK done before we met bent over on the golf course, got poked by a stick, and lifted his flap 4 years post-op!

Sparring with gloves, finger strikes and gouges not allowed, is extremely unlikely to harm the flap. I ask my martial artists to refrain from sparring for a couple of months, then have at it!

Your responses are exactly what I'm looking for. Keep 'em coming! By the way, it's Darrell. I gotta get Lynne to help ;me get that "M.D." off my name on the board here:happy:
Old 07-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
I had lasik 4/04. I am a high myop and wanted to be free of the coke bottle lenses. However, I also required bifocals, so I traded one pair of glasses for another. My work requires that I wear reading glasses constantly. I only take them off when I work out.

In retrospect I would NOT to it again. As a high myop I could read any print no matter how small. Now there are times, in dim light, when I'm vitually blind, e.g. reading a street map in a car trying to find an address. Also, it has the potential for complicating catarac surgery if/when I need that.

As contacts would have afforded me the opportunity to workout without glasses, the only advantage of lasik has been not to look so "nerdy" with coke bottle lenses. At my age, 54, that's not an issue.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:53 AM   #10
Ken Thynes

Profile:
Anthony , no problems sparring, and I get hit in the head a lot :P. No problems grappling either.