CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Well the old body is creaking along pretty good now, and now it's time to fix my Achilles heal (as far as career choices anyway).
I'm pretty near sighted. Around 6.0-6.5 diopters, or about 20/700.
Anybody had it done?
I've heard they can actually improve vision to better than 20/15.
Comments?
Old 02-10-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
My vision was similar to yours prior to LASIK. The procedure worked well for me, but (and I stress!) results may vary from person to person, and there are possible complications. Talk with your doctor, do your homework.

Now a days, prescreening is better than ever, so doctors are better able to determine which patients are good candidates, and which are not so good.

Make sure to tell you doctor about your hobbies and sports. The level of contact sports may determine which procedure he/she recommends, LASIK, LASEK, PRK, etc.

Here is a good link or two:

http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik_faq.html
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/LASIK/default.htm

I thought the information on Flap Healing times was particularly interesting on the first website.

Brad
Old 02-10-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
My friend had it done and was very pleased. I'm going to wait a few more years myself.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Ben Krey

Profile:

Let me first say that most people who have lasik done have awesome results. Just do your homework on the surgeon that will be doing the work. How many HUMAN eyes he/she has operated on, number of loose flaps, button holes, etc. Also with age, you have the whole presbyopia thing where the lense hardens. For most people it means they basically have a set focal length and will still need reading glasses. Your vision is pretty crappy, so you may be a good candidate. Just study up on the contraindications. The references Brad gave look like solid ones. If you want to see what the naysayers of lasik are saying, look here:
http://www.surgicaleyes.org/
Just weigh the pros and cons and make an informed decision.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:57 AM   #5
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Thanks for the great links Brad and Ben. I have a lot of studying to do.
Brad, I'm glad it worked out for you. I've read some horror stories about it. I know two people that have had it done, and they were both successful.
My biggest worry is one I just found on Ben's suggested site (first one I looked at):
http://www.usaeyes.org/faq/subjects/sports.htm
I want so much to be able to take my mask off, put it back on and clear it, without my contacts floating away. Happened to me in Key West when I ****ed off a big nurse shark and it knocked my mask off. Lost both lenses, and had to finish the dive pretty much blind.
So Brad, do you happen to scuba dive, or free dive? That site says changes in atmospheric pressures can cause aberrations in vision. That's something I didn't know.
Man, I wish this was available thirty years ago, when I wanted to be a fighter pilot (I know, boohoo, WFW). Then again, considering the post surgery/pressure change thing, the surgery might not have helped me with that endeaver anyway.
Then there's the presbyopia thing. I have that too now. I can't even shoot a rifle without a tube on top anymore. Can't see the rear sight. So I'll probably still have that problem after the surgery.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
George Koupatadze

Profile:
I was considering getting LASIK done. While doing research, I have found the following site. I backed out sice my eye sight is only -2.5 and I didn't really have to risk it. I am fine with wearing glasses or contacts. I don't want to spoil anything for those who have already done the surgery but those who are planning it should be warned I think. Another aspect of it is that the eye sight does tend to worsen a few years after the surgery, and additional surgeries are often required. I have a friend who has had a LASIK done and he confirms that his vision did get worse a few years after, and he plans on getting another one done. Anyway, check this out:

www.LasikDisaster.com
Old 02-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
Donald Woodson

Profile:

-2.5! I'm so envious! Yeah, in your case, it's definately not worth risking.
I'm definately taking Ben's advice with checking out the surgeons capabilities. I'm also aware that a long list of sheep skins is not very difinitive when it comes to matters of manual dexterity. I work with some very, very intelligent people; real live rocket scientists, who blow me away as far as engineering and computers and such. But to watch them try to park their cars in the morning...:blush: (God blessem) :happy:
But the technology has also improved very much recently, removing most of the manual manipulations.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Don,
I had great results. I screened the heck out of surgeons until I found the one I wanted to use, though, and as has been stated, your mileage may vary.
I dive. I haven't done a scuba dive since the surgery (last summer), but last week I did some snorkeling in Mexico and free-dove down about 25 feet. That's not a huge amount of pressure, but I had no adverse effects, and plan on doing some tank diving this summer.
JK
Old 02-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #9
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Thanks Jon,
Actually, I think about 25' would be the most noticeable as far as pressure changes go. At least that's what my ear drums always tell me. But when I think about it, it seems like altitude would be more of a problem than submersion pressures, since the eyes are already filled with non compressable fluid.
I'm doing a lot of online research on it right now.
Where did you go in Mexico?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:07 AM   #10
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
Has anyone tried "eye exercises" to fix their vision? There are programs you can buy for less than a hundred dollars that claim amazing results without surgery. Obviously, it could be a big scam, but I like the idea and might give it a shot.