CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
Jeremy Evans

Profile:
Female vs. Male Weights on Standard WOD's

In looking at the Girl & Hero WOD list on the main site FAQ, rarely is there a break out for female and male weights. Because it happens on some (I.E. Amanda) but not on others that seems to me that HQ has consciously decided that there shouldn't be a separation when doing this RX'd no matter your sex.

This same thought comes in the main sites WOD's. Once in a while there is a separation between male and female weights but rarely. In searching the main site there doesn't seem to be any guideline for this.

Then you look at boxes throughout the world and it seems that most boxes do a different standard for men and women even on the Girl and Hero WOD's. It looks like the female weights are around 70% of the guys. This holds true for many of the Open, Regional and Games events also.

In turn this has sparked some debate in our box among the coaches. We understand that each box can program for how they feel best for their athletes, but what about trying to compare your times to those around their whole CrossFit community. This raises the questions of when competitors post their times on their bio page are they per the main site or are they split out with the 70% structure.

So we are looking for thoughts on this from around the community and if anyone knows if HQ has come out with guidelines or recommendations regarding this.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Female vs. Male Weights on Standard WOD's

the 70% (ish) split is pretty universal between Men's and Women's Rx'd weights. they also seem to work well to easily build a bar. at least, that was the case when I got started and every one used the same barbells.
Grace/Isabel/Elizabeth @ 135 for men = 45# bar + pair of 45s
Grace/Isabel/Elizabeth @ 95 for women = 45# bar + pair of 25s

however, "women's bars" (15kg) have become much more prevalent in the past few years, so it doesn't easily build out that way any more.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Female vs. Male Weights on Standard WOD's

I agree with Sean. Also, to compare times as you know, you should do the ''core'' crossfit workouts and check workout logs and even crossfit arcives for that workout.

I always not how I did a workout so when I revisit it, I can have a good comparison. Like is I do ''annie'' with feet hooked or not kind of thing.