CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #21
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: What do you think is your one weakest link?

Upper body strength.

My press, jerk, snatch, etc is nowhere near proportionate to the rest of my lifts.

Honestly, I have no plan or idea how to fix it, doesn't seem like a lift that grows nearly as fast as say a squat or deadlift.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #22
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Upper body strength.

My press, jerk, snatch, etc is nowhere near proportionate to the rest of my lifts.

Honestly, I have no plan or idea how to fix it, doesn't seem like a lift that grows nearly as fast as say a squat or deadlift.

Try adding some frequency and volume at low loads, like putting daily overhead presses into your program. High reps with an empty bar or light kettlebells. It won't be enough to screw up your WODs or make you overly sore, but it will help build strength over time, especially in the connective tissue (which adapts to training more slowly than muscle).
Old 10-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #23
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Nakis View Post
Try adding some frequency and volume at low loads, like putting daily overhead presses into your program. High reps with an empty bar or light kettlebells. It won't be enough to screw up your WODs or make you overly sore, but it will help build strength over time, especially in the connective tissue (which adapts to training more slowly than muscle).
I already spend a ton of time in the gym when I'm there. I have some 25lb dumb bells at home I was thinking of trying to use on a consistent basis.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #24
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I already spend a ton of time in the gym when I'm there. I have some 25lb dumb bells at home I was thinking of trying to use on a consistent basis.
Yeah, it could be daily work with those. Like 5 sets of 10 presses or something. Maybe it's just adding a couple sets of presses with an unloaded barbell to your daily warmup or cooldown at the gym. It doesn't have to take a lot of time, just get yourself into the habit.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #25
Ardith Feroglia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
What do you think is your one weakest link that is holding you back from many other things within CF? (can be anything-food, mobility, strength anything)

Do you have a plan how to fix this and what sort of time frame are you looking at?

How do you measure if your plan is working and within that given time frame?
1. Running and coordination. Other things like overhead strength, core strength, chronic injuries also follow me, but top two "areas of opportunity" are in my running and coordination. It's always been that way since I was a wee one.

2. My plan is in development. Now that I've spent two years kind of getting up to speed (I swear my first year of CF was remediation), I'm looking at dedicating the first half of 2015 to things like improving my sprints and endurance, and implementing daily work on "little things" (e.g., double-unders, core strength, Oly tech w/ PVC). I have several spreadsheets with athletic levels that help guide me.

3. Set quantifiable goals.
Instead of "Get better at double-unders," setting a goal like "String together 30 unbroken double-unders by March 1st" will help me define the goal and clearly see if I have achieved it or not.

That all said, after last night's WOD, I really wanted my only 2015 goal to read: "Stop sucking at running."
Old 01-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #26
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardith Feroglia View Post
I have several spreadsheets with athletic levels that help guide me.
Ardith, where do you train? I see you're in Seattle and you're talking about athletic skill levels, do you go to CrossFit Seattle by any chance?
Old 01-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #27
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Mobility - no question. Of course I can always be stronger and more skilled but mobility (where I'm at today) took forever and there is still a ways to go.

That and being 46 and very rarely do I walk into the gym and have something NOT hurt.

Shoulders, wrists, back, etc...it never ends.