CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Eddie Dimaguila

Profile:
Re: Why are Crosfitters so Jacked?

Genetics, absolutely plays a big part imo.

I used to go to a globo gym for years and there was this guy who would bring his two kids in every night to workout. He was coaching and training both of them. I watched for probably the next 3 years as those kids progressed into athletic killing machines! They were 12 yrs old when I first saw them and when they hit 15 they were absolute monsters.

I spoke to him about it and he said he was getting them prepared for a lifetime of pro sports. He said he was priming them to play basketball and/or football.

The dad was no slouch either. He played minors back in the day but only stopped due to back injuries.

My point here though is that without there genetics I feel it would've been a lot harder to progress as fast as they did. Seriously these kids had some serious muscle tone even at age 12.

I wish I was as lucky. haha I need to work extremely hard at my paltry gains. LOL
Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
That would depend entirely on how much he ate. And not to take anything away from him, but genetics play a huge part for Rich
He eats pretty bad, as we all know.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Casey Dietz

Profile:

If we are talking about "why are crossfitters so jacked", it comes to body types, right? The guys he is describing are mesomorphs. Of course it's going to come easier to them putting on muscle and looking "jacked".

I don't know about you guys, but I've seen ectomorphs making up a decent amount of box populations. I would put the reason guys, like the one who asked him the question, on nutrition and total caloric intake.

Lots of people who CrossFit simply don't eat enough, especially ectomorphs and people who are afraid of losing their "six pack". Six-packs on skinny guys are like big boobs on fat chicks. They just don't count.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Dietz View Post
If we are talking about "why are crossfitters so jacked", it comes to body types, right? The guys he is describing are mesomorphs. Of course it's going to come easier to them putting on muscle and looking "jacked".

I don't know about you guys, but I've seen ectomorphs making up a decent amount of box populations. I would put the reason guys, like the one who asked him the question, on nutrition and total caloric intake.

Lots of people who CrossFit simply don't eat enough, especially ectomorphs and people who are afraid of losing their "six pack". Six-packs on skinny guys are like big boobs on fat chicks. They just don't count.
Correcto mundo.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
Richard Foote

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dimaguila View Post
Genetics, absolutely plays a big part imo.

...He was coaching and training both of them...They were 12 yrs old when I first saw them and when they hit 15 they were absolute monsters.

The dad was no slouch either.

My point here though is that without there genetics I feel it would've been a lot harder to progress as fast as they did.

I wish I was as lucky. haha I need to work extremely hard at my paltry gains. LOL
Agree completely here. I've seen similar instances where the top athletes at my high school and college had fathers who were clearly just as athletic and physically gifted.

I have to bust my butt every session to see and maintain progress, and I know if I ate like Rich Froning for a solid month I'd crash, hard.

The elite work hard, but they have gifts that set them apart from the rest.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
David Meverden

Profile:

"Rich Froning was going to be and look like Rich Froning regardless of if he did CrossFit, or powerlifting, or olympic lifting or basketball or baseball: he was still going to look the same ******* way"

I really dislike this statement. It goes way too far in dismissing the hard *** work people do. Yes, genetics is important, and Rich would look buff if he played any sport with a good strength training aspect, but he wouldn't look the same. And the presenter may have been muscular at 14 but a lot of the muscular people I know weren't. I was a soft little ***** at 14 and I had to work hard and lift a lot of iron to put on the 40 lbs of muscle added since I started getting involved with this community.

Did I have an easier time than some people adding muscle? Yes. Was I going to look the way I look now no matter what I did? Hell no.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
"Rich Froning was going to be and look like Rich Froning regardless of if he did CrossFit, or powerlifting, or olympic lifting or basketball or baseball: he was still going to look the same ******* way"

I really dislike this statement. It goes way too far in dismissing the hard *** work people do. Yes, genetics is important, and Rich would look buff if he played any sport with a good strength training aspect, but he wouldn't look the same. And the presenter may have been muscular at 14 but a lot of the muscular people I know weren't. I was a soft little ***** at 14 and I had to work hard and lift a lot of iron to put on the 40 lbs of muscle added since I started getting involved with this community.

Did I have an easier time than some people adding muscle? Yes. Was I going to look the way I look now no matter what I did? Hell no.
That really bothers me too. I played basketball for hours a day and weighted 145 lbs. Now With lifting heavy and metcons I am at 184. Rich would not look the same regardless lol.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Jason Fischer

Profile:

[quote=David Meverden;1203271]"Rich Froning was going to be and look like Rich Froning regardless of if he did CrossFit, or powerlifting, or olympic lifting or basketball or baseball: he was still going to look the same ******* way"

I really dislike this statement. It goes way too far in dismissing the hard *** work people do. Yes, genetics is important, and Rich would look buff if he played any sport with a good strength training aspect, but he wouldn't look the same. QUOTE]

I think someone like Rich's genetics absolutely have a part to play, but I would say less in his physical appearance and more along his ridiculous work capacity. Not just in a given workout, but on an ongoing daily, weekly, monthly, etc basis. Even amongst other games competitors, there seems the opinion that there aren't many who have the ability to put the same kind of work in he does (absolutely not taking away from the work any other athletes put in).
Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Jason Bekolay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Dietz View Post

Yep

The guys talk about genetics and steriods are usually the same guys who eat two boiled eggs and 11 almonds for breakfast
Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bekolay View Post
Yep

The guys talk about genetics and steriods are usually the same guys who eat two boiled eggs and 11 almonds for breakfast
Yeah. I have an ectomorph friend (tall, skinny) and he does not have good genetics for muscle building, but he still did it when he got serious and started EATING seriously. After he found out he couldn't bench press 100 lbs (LITERALLY) he went on a bodybuilding style bulk with some serious pigging out and went from somewhere around 150 to 200 lbs. It's years later now and he's like 175 to 185, having retained a lot of that muscle even though the practice of lifting heavy consistently didn't stick (he's actually doing very CrossFit like stuff now even though he was my biggest skeptic when I was CF obsessed. Ironic since now I don't do that much typical CF).