CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I need to start timing myself. What watches or stopwatches do you guys use (OVA or not)?
Old 05-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Personally, I think the Timex Ironman Sleek series (I have the 200-lap version) is the best. It's fairly inexpensive (~$50). It's essentially indestructable...you don't want to know how much I've knocked mine about. And it's got enough timing options to do every possible thing you'd need. In a year plus at CF, I've yet to run into a timing sequence for a WOD that it couldn't do. Particularly nice is the ability to program it for Tabatas (20/10 intervals).
Old 05-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Dan Silver

Profile:

Hey Matt, before the battery goes dead on your watch, is the "indiglo" the first feature to go? Mine just vanished. As I am lazy, I want confirmation before I change the battery.

-D.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Sorry Dan, I don't know. I expect that would be the case, but I've not run into that yet.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
Michael Keller

Profile:
I've wondered the same thing. I got the new Ironman w/200 lap feature, interval programming, etc. that was recommended here a while back. My indiglo died after about two weeks. I was wondering if the battery might be weak or if it's something else. Does anyone know?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:26 AM   #6
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Does anyone have one of the Timex GPS units? Apparently it can tell you exactly when you've hit 400m to 99% accuracy. That's good enough for me and Helen.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:52 AM   #7
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Tyler, the only issue with the GPS unit (told you I've got a watch fetish) is that the GPS part of it resides in a separate unit...the size of a pack of cigarettes...that you've got to strap to your upper arm.

It's in the perfect place to get slammed into by Oly bars, etc. If you're just running it works brilliantly, but it's a PITA if you're doing anything else.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:00 AM   #8
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
I went with Matt's recommendation last summer. I have set up multiple countdown sequences and it works great for my coaching.

I find the morning alarm to be one of the most annoying sounds ever created. If I don’t hear it, it wakes the little biscuit who in turn cracks me in the dome. Mission accomplished.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
As you may remember, My name is Larry, and I too am a watch addict! Been using the Timex Sleek for about a year. THe only issue I have is when doing overhead lifts, the back of my hand sometimes hits the STOP/TIMER button. Also, the timer alarm, for Tabata's, is a little soft. Other than that, I wonder why other watches can't seem to get it right. I even have found new features on the sleek: In any other mode (timer, stopwatch) press and hold the "mode" button for > 2 sec. and you can see the time, when you let go of the mode button you go back to the function you were in.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Larry, I've run into that. Solution: rotate the watch so the face is on the underside of your arm. Typically it's your top of your hand flexed back that contacts the stop button.