CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Claire Brevidoro

Profile:
Looking for 1st year membership growth numbers from you.

Hi everyone

I am hoping to be running a box soon and I am trying to get some realistic ideas of membership growth in the first year.

I know CrossFits usually grow pretty quickly and profit soon, but I just want some ACTUAL numbers.

If anyone would be willing to provide me with their boxs' numbers (anonymously is totally fine) I would really appreciate it.

Some simple things to help me would be:
Did you have any paying members the day you opened, and if so how many?
How many members after 3, 6, 9 and 12 months of being open?
What is the square footage of your gym?
Do you advertise?
--Anything else you think might be helpful

I would love it if you emailed it to me, as this forum doesn't notify me of a response to these things - but this is ok too. My email is cbrevidoro@gmail.com.

Thank you so much!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: Looking for 1st year membership growth numbers from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Brevidoro View Post
I know CrossFits usually grow pretty quickly and profit soon, but I just want some ACTUAL numbers.
!
Be careful here. Many affiliates are loosing money month-to-month or are barely breaking even. I think my affiliate was open for 12 months before we were profiting month to month, and I haven't quite yet payed myself back everything I've invested into the gym.

Rent, flooring, equipment, supplies, utilities, insurance, office and cleaning supplies, affiliation fees, continuing education, salaries, and benefits add up to a much, much larger number than most people expect them to.

edit: add in the cost of your security deposit, and improvements you make at your box, painting, exterior signage, permits for the township for improvements/signs, business cards, flyers, and advertising.

Last edited by Justin McGinley; 03-26-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Old 03-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Alexander Martin

Profile:

I agree, and it really depends on how BUSY your box actually becomes. Some you see that gain 100 members in 90 days (CF Virtality), others struggle to get 20 members in over a year(my old box). Fortunately we had very low overhead which helped, so we were in the black with about 6 FT members. However, with all my partner put in to the box as far as equipment/affilation/insurance/etc. we never really turned a profit. He was able to pay himself back though, which is obviously positive.

Last edited by Alexander Martin; 03-26-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

I would remember to work smarter, not harder.

With increase membership comes the needs for more room, equipment, class times, trainers, etc.

Consider your expenses....And find how many members you need to break even. That's your first goal.

An owner of an affiliate with 200+ members may only profit 4-5K/mon if they don't spend wisely and keep expenses under control.
You can also be very profitable with 75 members, and will allow you some freedom away from your affiliate.

Don't be fooled. Out of 3000+ affiliates, I'd be shocked if more than 50% of them are profitable in the first year. People may bring more people, but not necessarily more dollars. Dollars pay bills.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

Growth rates are dependent upon SO many things...location, reach, your own ability to pull leads, saturation of boxes, etc.

But don't think for a SECOND that your success or failure is anything other than a direct result of the work that YOU put in.

Make a best/worst case projection. Use excel, and estimate how many leads you can build per month, how many of those come in to the gym, and how many of those sign up as members. On the low end, use a 30% signup rate. If you're doing well, its 70%. If you're awesome at signing people up, its 90%.

Use those numbers to drive how much work YOU put in. Only get 5 people to come in, when your goal was 10? Time to beat the streets, do some park workouts, get a booth at local fairs, offer "bring a friend" days...SOMETHING!

What most affiliates do is fail to track their numbers, and then fail to learn what they're doing wrong.

I'm in your shoes too, just about to open my doors. Good luck!