CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Mike Kelley

Profile:
Tricep Pain during pull movements

This happened awhile ago. The first 2 weeks I just ignored it and kept working out as it seemed to get better as I warmed up.

Finally stopped doing ANYTHING that bothered it (which essentially was any kind of heavier rowing/pulling movement). I tested bicep curls to see if it was actually the biceps tendon...they didn't hurt. I've been stretching my lats/shoulders and doing foam rolling/massage on them as well...still pain (albeit less) at the base of the tricep near the elbow when I get to about 90 degree plus on pull-ups.

So to recap. I worked through it for 2 weeks (dumb). Took out all movement that bothered it (pulling) for 2 weeks. Now I haven't done ANY weights this week and I don't plan on testing it out again until Monday.

It just seems odd to me that I would get TRICEP pain during pulling exercises. Any idea why/more advice on what I should do.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Re: Tricep Pain during pull movements

Likely a combo of coracobrachioradialis(inside of your arm, between bicep and tricep) and triceps trigger points.

Are you able to work around it with pushups and presses? If you can, keep training and working on your pesky trigger points and bring up posture issues(if any).
Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Mike Kelley

Profile:

I don't feel it during any pressing movements whatsoever. I just didn't know if it was contraindicative to keep doing them, even with no pain.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Google a pic and mark where the pain is.

Note any exercises that hurt AND at what point they hurt.

How's your posture? Any previous injuries? Sports? Your usual workout routines?

How's your diet/nutrition? Sleep? Any other details?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Mike Kelley

Profile:

Picture should be attached (WFS). It started a little higher in the tricep, until I had a massage therapist work on it (she could feel a knot or something) and it's worked it's way down closer to my elbow now. Left side is the worst, but after the massage I can slightly feel it on my right side too close to the elbow.

Any pulling exercise (not band rows) with moderate amounts of weight - I did some ring rows with little pain, but I was practically standing straight up. I can get to about 90 degrees before I start to feel the pain. I can feel a "stretch" on deadlifts in the area, but not pain. Usually if I foam roll prior to deads, this is not the case (this does NOT work for pull-ups/rowing)

Posture is decent. My left shoulder does not have full ROM. I've been doing the diesel crew on that (and to fix the winging scapula on that side). My left shoulder did bother me for awhile like a year or so ago (probably from trying to bench like a powerlifter, which I do not do anymore). I've currently been doing CFSB or CFFB, more recently.

Diet/nutrition is about 85% paleo (other 15% being occassional cheat on coconut bliss ice cream or kashi thin crust pizza...nothing too crazy). Sleep needs to be improved, but I'm not sure it's impacting this too much. I'm a personal trainer so I get anywhere from 5-6 hours a night. I usually make up for it during the weekend and ocassionaly I'll take naps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	triceppain.JPG
Views:	805
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	5621  
Old 12-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Okay, here's what I think:

It's likely that your triceps are overally really tight which is why having them extend during pullups is causing you discomfort and pain. Their tightness is also probably what is causing them to refer pain down towards the tendon (as tight muscles also tend to give rise towards tendonitis overuse).

My theory for why the lateral triceps is getting overworked/tight is because of your winging scap. The long head of the triceps has origins on the lower part of the scapula, so when the scap is winging that means th connection is shorter than it normally would be. When you exert force or lengthen the triceps against resistance, a shorter muscle provides inadequate torque (well, muscles are strongest at the middle of ROM, so a significantly shorter muscle which is true during winging would make it inadequate length) which is going to make your lateral/medial heads overwork and thus get tight. Enough tightness/cramping and you get pain and knots in the muscles which you are having to work out.

So root of the problem here is the winging scap, and it's translating dysfunction into the triceps as well. Basically, keep focusing on correcting the winging scapula, and keep the triceps as loose as you can with massage and prett much everything else from the tendonitis protocol. wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

More sleep would be better... are you getting enough magnesium, potassium, B12, and other vitamins/minerals, etc in your diet? That will definitely help with relaxing the muscles. Supplement fish oil if you're not already.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Mike Kelley

Profile:

without plugging everything into fitday, I don't know if I'm getting enough of those things. I eat plenty of veggies and fruit now and still take a multi and fish oil.

Thanks for the info
Old 12-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Mike Kelley

Profile:

oh yeah

Steven,

Do you think it's a problem to still do pressing work since it doesn't directly bother my tricep or should I just lay off all upper body stuff?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Generally, I would say if it doesn't hurt then go for it (overuse-wise).

BUt you have a scapular dysfunction so... I would lay off any upper body for now except for your specific physical therapy stuff.

A couple weeks off isn't going to make a big difference. Hopefully it can be resolved by then.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Mike Kelley

Profile:

Do you think this could also be the reason why I randomly will get a knot between my shoulder blade and spine on that side? (like RIGHT now, without having worked out in a week)

This **** is frustrating