CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-17-2004, 05:58 AM   #1
Cross Bones

Profile:  
Hi all,
Newbie here, but been lifting for 2 years now. Been doing back squats the proper way according to most instructions in fitness mags and books(i.e. hips down parallel to floor), but start noticing some big athletes in my college gym dipping way down below parallel(like thighs pressed against calves.) question is, doesn't that put a lot of stress on the knees? I tried it myself with lesser weight than my max, keeping good form(eg no rounded back, knees not exceeding toes) and it feels ok. but won't stick to this form until I know the impact on the knee. yeah, I know, no bouncing.
thanks for any advice!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:26 AM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Stopping at parallel is harder on the knee than going all the way down. I squat butt to heels without any knee problems and I've had three knee surgeries (prior to ever squatting). I also have a father who is an orthopedic surgeon who does CrossFit and rock bottom squats. In conclusion, get your butt down there and enjoy!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #3
Ben Gimball

Profile:

No one could not have stated it any better than Patrick!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
James Taft

Profile:

Cross Bones. Check out Coach Mike Burgener's site (Link located on side bar of main CrossFit site) - Mike's Gym. As I recall he has some stuff on his site concerning proper squat form and the benefits of full squatting. I am sure Dan John's website has some stuff too. I can vouch that full squats are the way to go. I started doing full squats under Coach Burgener's guidance back in 94-95 and then quit for a few years. After awhile of doing the bodybuilder thing (parallel squats) I started to get knee pain. I switched back to full back in Jan 01 and have had no problems since. Plus you will become much more powerful. Word of advice - drop your weight down and work on getting that good form if you are new to them. Full squats are much more demanding. Good luck with your training.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
CB-

There is a Crossfti Journal devoted to the squat. that is perhaps a good place to start as well. If you can find a good O-lifter/Coach that would be excellent as well.
Welcome to crossfit and le us know how things progress.
Robb
Old 03-17-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Another Burgener alumni chimes in!

I know Mike didn't give you permission to join the Army instead of the Marines.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:58 PM   #7
bill fox

Profile:

Also check out Asomov squat.

Usally the "knee problem" is a lack of low back strength/flexibility which causes the knee to track too far out over the foot.

To do the Asomov hold onto something in front of you, pole, sqaut rack etc. With your feet about a foot apart do a squat with your shins COMPLETELY VERTICAL and your back FLAT. If you can't get your butt to your ankles widen your stance. You're doing this for reps to work your specific strength/flexibility to squat. When you can do it with your feet 6" apart your in buisiness.

Evil side note. 100 reps with a 25lb vest not holding anything is a hobbler.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:11 PM   #8
James Taft

Profile:

Lincoln. Yeah he is a pretty die hard marine. I remember he used to bring cadence tapes into the weight room and play them as we worked out!! LOL! He actually did give me a recommendation to get into West Point. I trained with him during my Sophmore year of high school (Rancho Buena Vista HS). I loved it, but then lost focus and got into playing bass in a punk band. Ahh, the stupid things you do in your youth! I wish I had stuck with him a little longer. Everything works out for the best though. He is a truly great coach and it is good to see that he gets the recognition he deserves.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:36 AM   #9
Cross Bones

Profile:  
This is terrific advice, guys! I tend to lean towards power than size. btw, anyone here around Boston? Looking for someone to observe/criticize my O-lifts.
Thanks!!
Old 03-18-2004, 06:09 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Bill-

That sounds great! I have been sitting in a squat position for the past month while working on the computer. I know chairs are not doing my back and legs any favors. For the first time I am able to go into a full squat while my torso remains completely upright. This appears to also be the position most top O-lifter get into. Interesting stuff!
Robb