CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
David Plakos

Profile:
question on back injury

between two and three months ago, i tweaked my lower back. i originally thought it was from doing ceiling jumps in my garage (no box, so i just tapped the ceiling 10 times) and landing leaning to one side (left arm tap meant leaning to the right). could have also been a tweak from deadlifts (had just matched pr of 290x5 on ptp cycle). could have been buttwinking on front squats. could have been any number of things.

the tweak is still there, except the past two weeks, it's worsened. i've deadlifted 2-3 times since, no more than 205x5, but have done exclusively bwe beyond that.

the pain is in my lower back. just sitting here, it feels like something is pushing out from the left side of the muscles on the side of my spine. running my fingers over it somewhat confirm, as it seems there's more mass there than on my right side (as if my left erectors were significantly beefier than my right).

while i'd like to hear folks thoughts (so please share), i have an appointment with an orthopedic (who thankfully dislikes to use surgery -- both my wife and father-in-law will attest to this) on monday, and am specifically looking for ways to relieve the pain and hopefully set myself up for a healthy recovery starting now.

i've begun doing the piriformis stretch again so many have recommended in the archives (no idea why i stopped doing this stretch after years of it), and am hoping for more good suggestions other than advil and ice.

Last edited by David Plakos; 09-26-2007 at 12:16 PM..
Old 09-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
David Plakos

Profile:
Re: question on back injury

forgot to mention that sometimes i get a burning sensation on my left quadricep and groin, and this started around the same time.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I suggest you read other recent posts on back problems. There's some good info in them - if you haven't already. In the meantime my only advice is stretch. The burning sensation can be coming from two places - where the nerves pass through the foramen in your hip, or from your back. Stretching will help the former, not the latter,
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Find a good chiropractor. They should perform a series of orthopedic and neurological tests and be willing to work in conjunction with your orthopod of choice. If they talk to you about the "dangers of subluxation" you may want to look elsewhere. Good luck.