CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-10-2007, 04:15 AM   #1
Scott Borre

Profile:
I'm not sure how it happened. It didn't really hurt till I started driving home and got home. But now the left side of my back (near the shoulder blade I'd say) is quite tight and hurts. I cannot move my chin to my left shoulder without it hurting in my back a bit (can to my right with minimal tension).

Yesterday for the workout I did some squats with a very light bar (also did handstand pushups on with feet on the parallel bars, and 500m row it was a 21-15-9 workout), and then after the workout I was shown how to do thrusters with a light bar. I'm wondering if it was the squat, because of where I might have had the bar resting.

I think I'm still going to go in to the gym today and do what I can, but any advice? I've tried doing some shoulder shurgs and the like to stretch it out, but that doesn't seem to be helping yet.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
Cal Jones

Profile:
I'm no expert but I've experienced this myself, and usually attribute it to sleeping in a funny position (though I'm also hunched over a computer keyboard at work all day so it could also be that). It usually disappears fairly quickly on its own.
Try ice, ibuprofen and gentle stretching. If it doesn't go away, then see a physio.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Charles Pyke

Profile:
Scott,

I just posted a similar problem for my back and right shoulder. Sounds very much like my problem. I suspect you have a pinched nerve. How you treat it depends on how much pain it is causing. Mine is excruciating. I had to go to the doctor for meds. At the very least consider laying off for a day or two or perhaps scaling your workouts down considerably. Work back up to full scale workouts gradually. Ibuprophen will help with the swelling and pain. Be careful with the stuff though, it can cause some stomach problems. Read the label on the bottle. Heating the area also will help. I am using a heating pad and sometime I just stand in the shower. If it doesn't start improving soon go see your doctor.

Charlie
Old 04-16-2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Scott

I get the same problem - I reckon it was the handstand push ups did it for you. I get it sometimes doing heavy shoulder press. I have been to physio a few times for it and told to work on shoulder mobility, lat flexibilty and stregthen that area by doing push up plus
http://www.fitrex.com/fitness_info/exercise710.html
This excercise also helped pull my shoulder back a bit as I has slightly rounded shoulders due to tight pec muscles.

Also when I am doing shoulder press/handstand I really try to keep my alignment and not put my chin to my chest - it helps to prevent straining that area.

I really hurt myself a couple of times and it really is a pain in the neck! As Charles mentioned, Ibuprofen helped and get a hot water bottle on it too.

As for getting it better the best advice is rest and don't do anything that is going to aggravate it - like training!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Dan Downs

Profile:
Same issue for me - Right side. In fact, last week I went to a chiropractor (twice) for the first time ever. It was great to get the e-stim and adjustments and he made some stretching recommendations for me as well as a treatment plan (6 weeks of visits, then massage/adjustments as needed). Blue Cross Blue Shield covers the adjustments AND MASSAGE up to 50 sessions per year. Yes, for a $20 copay, I will be getting a 1 hour deep tissue massage every other week or so.

Anyway, I am almost certain, as is the chiropractor, that my pain stems from (primarily) my posture and bad computer/mouse ergonomics.

I always thought they were quacks, but I am actually pretty into it right now. Give it a shot.

I seriously doubt that the issue stems from your workouts if you are using good form and appropriate weight. Most, if not all, of the lifts recommended in CF are safe at post-maximal loads. The exercises may exacerbate the soreness, but are probably not the source.

DD