CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Ross Hunt

Profile:
My right shoulder hurts. I'm pretty sure that it's an overuse injury from lowering snatch-grip push-presses behind the neck: I first noticed it during this exercise a month or two ago. It built: For a while s-grip push-presses BTN were all that hurt, then presses BTN, then overhead presses, push-presses, handstand-straddle-to-straddle-stands, and finally, today, even the top of a chin-up hurts a bit. I have dropped all overhead work from my program (except snatches overhead squats, and jerks - none of these hurt, although they do hurt a bit when I I drop the weights), I have dropped vertical pulls (I am subsisting on lever work), I am icing the shoulder for 30 minutes nightly, and I am going to start taking an MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroitin joint health supplement today: I want to beat this before it gets worse.

Question: Static handstands do not hurt. Is it possible, despite the fact that they do not hurt, that I would set back the recovery of my shoulder by continuing to perform them?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I usually stick to the, if it don't hurt it's probably OK school of thought. I have had multiple injuries (including to shoulders) over the last 28 years and just did what I could that did not hurt and it seemed to be OK in the long run. Static handstands may actually be no problem at all, since you may not move the joint through the range that causes irritation. If it were me and I was in that situation I would likely do them especially if I was limited in other movements.

Someone wiser than me may weigh in on this but if not it is my 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Been keeping this quiet, cause its a little embarrassing, but I injured my right shoulder teaching kipping pull ups last Saturday. I was over-exaggerating the swing for demo and looked to the left, when someone asked a question. Did I do anything to help it heal...no, still doing the WOD, but can't kip. So I'm a week into this injury and need to be healed by Feb. 9 (for the seminar) any help for me and Ross...rest is a 4 letter word and I ain't stopping.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Guys,

you will be expecting it already, but I say it nonetheless: massage it. This shoulder stuff gets worse and worse without massage to loosen it up.

Get a wall hook (see http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/17712.html) from the nearest hardware store, and start working. Sounds funny, I know, but it works much better than the ball on the floor/wall method, especially for the rotator cuff muscles.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian

Old 01-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
Thomas Girouard

Profile:  
Larry... I was one of the guys you taught kipping to. My right shoulder always hurt anyway (and never affected my WO's), but after being "enlightened" by you, my left shoulder hurts like hell now... thanks. Actually had to take two days off to rest because I couldn't straighten out my arms (outside head of bicep very sore.) Next WO was Cindy and for the first time in a while I had to cheat (jump) on some of the PU's.

Think I'll go take some more Advil.

Tom
Old 01-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
Bill Betts

Profile:

Christian,

The wall hook massager is a great tip. My left shoulder has been chronic since high school and serious massage helps tremendously.

It looks funny but I recommend it to any one that has shoulder injuries.

Thanks again Christian.