CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-31-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
Per Nyberg

Profile:
I was recently informed that we are supposed to run a 10k race here at the police academy in about 4 weeks. I havenīt run 10 kilometers in a looobg time (about 5 years I think). I realise I donīt have much time to prepare for the race and therefore I turn to the board for some help. Do any of you guys have a suggestion? The WODīs are very intense and they usually leave me panting and totally wiped out, but are they enough to give me the aerobic fitness I need for 10 kilometers? Or should I concentrate more on running?
Any suggetsion would be appreciated.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:15 AM   #2
F

Profile:

Running 3 times a week for the next 3-4 weeks is more than enough to get the body ready for a 10km race. You won't improve cardiovascular fitness in that time, but you'll become more efficient and accustomed to the running motion (thereby allowing you to run faster!). Each week until the race do one of each: fast, hard 5km (85-90%); a medium 8km (80%); a slow 10-12km (70%). Major mistakes people make when preparing for a "sudden" event: avoid the urge to run more than 25km per week unless you're accustomed to more; avoid the urge to run every run at full speed, stick to the intensities above. Do 15 minutes of good stretching at the end of each run, take a day off between runs during training and a day or two off before the race.

In our military units most of our soldiers have decent overall fitness, so when a running "event" is coming up we use this type of specific training to "convert" our general military fitness into more specific running fitness (by practicing we improve our efficiency and get our bodies accustomed to the specific stress of the event).

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:17 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Per-

If you can fit this in try running:
Week 1) 4km, 8km, 6km
Week 2) 10km, 4km, 6km
week 3) 11km, 6km, 8km
week 4) 5km

Do these in addition to the WOD and as F mentioned emphasize thchnique...breathe, make your stride effortless, get accustomed to the distancess and how your body feels at the various points.

Let us know how it goes!
Robb
Old 09-01-2003, 08:03 AM   #4
Per Nyberg

Profile:
Thanks guys!!!
Youre advice will be very helpful. I have started out as robert suggested this morning and it felt good. Iīll continue to do that and come back to you later.
Thanks again!!