CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Tight muscles and migraines.

Hi folks.

Over the past year and half or so, I've had about 5 migraines. These ruin the day for me, and although the next day I seem much better, there seem to be "remains" for several days afterwards.

The latest was last friday. Funnily enough, last week was a Rest week! Which kindof rules out it being caused by working out. Since then, I've had 3 massage sessions (sat, mon, and wed). And I'll get one friday too. Oh, and I decided to take this week of rest too, so two weeks in a row.

The thing is, today, despite being the third session, it still feels tight up there. By up there, I mean either the Levator Scapulae or the Trapezius muscle, not sure which. When the woman pressed on this point, I could almost feel the same pain I felt with the migraine, just to a much lesser degree. This leads me to believe it's all related.

WFS: http://www.palmerlynchburg.com/trigger_points.html

Just like in one of the above pics, my pain with this migraine was felt mostly at the very back of the skull (to the left), and right behind my left eye. I'm not sure which picture represents my pain best, out of those four, perhaps the 2nd and 4th, as both kindof include the eye.

I'm just writing this in hopes anyone has perhaps gone through something similar. ANY advise is appreciated. In the meantime I'm using google to try and learn more....

Edit to add: over the past few months I have stopped all forms of overhead pressing, barbell, dumbbells, etc. As it was straining my "neck", sometimes just with the warm-up weights, and this took several days or over a week to fully heal. During this period, turning my head to the sides (as if to look over your shoulder) was painful. I figure this is somehow related!?

I work a desk job, my arms do rest on supports, my monitor is raised so I don't have to hunch to look down... but still, posture while working is probably way less than optimal.

Second edit: WFS: http://www.pressurepointer.com/Press...nterManual.pdf

I now think it's the posterior neck muscles? As I got the blurry vision before the migraines.

Last edited by Arturo Garcia : 07-11-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Edit to add.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Tight muscles and migraines.

Last night I revised my Trigger Point Therapy book and it said that if pressing one of these points replicates the symptoms of the migraine, it verifies it as the cause. My case exactly.

Something VERY interesting that I did not know (or remember) is that it mentioned that trigger points in the Traps are best worked 6 OR MORE times a day, although limiting sessions to 6-12 strokes per trigger point. It said "don't try to kill them, let your body do the healing".

This is very different to how I treated trigger points in the past... 1 session of like 2 minutes of stroking the points. I am going to try to work on them as much as I can throughout the day, since they would be short sessions anyways.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Tight muscles and migraines.

Meh, depending on the person and how their body reacts to massage and pressure things may vary pretty widely. You need to find out what works for you.