CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Megan Starr

Profile:
Hands go numb with OHS?

I did a wod a few weeks ago that was 75OHS at 65lbs. I am pretty new to CF and this was the most weight I have done with OHS. My hands always have tingled a bit when doing OHS, but I was told that "everyone's" hands tingle with those. Well, my hands started to tingle a lot....it felt like that tingle you get when you have slept on your arm wrong... again I was told this was pretty standard for OHS.

The thing that concerned me is my hands continued to tingle (specificly my thumb and first finger) for almost 48 hours after the wod. Is this normal?? Am I doing some damage? So I do something different when doing OHS?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Hands go numb with OHS?

This is actually not normal and generally means you have a lack of shoulder mobility or tightness of the muscles around the neck/shoulder girdle/etc.

Here's a general outline of stuff you need to do to improve shoulder et al mobility

Start doing these things:

1. Posterior capsule stretch, sleeper stretch, external rotation stretch

2. Lats stretch, pec stretch, pec minor massage. Can use basketball or other ball and lie on top of it for pec rolling.

For pec major you can use corner stretch -- arms abducted to 90, with hands pointing up. Face the concave corner of a wall, and let the elbows touch the side of the wall. Then lunge forward and let it stretch out the anterior muscles of the shoulder.

3. Deep tissue massage all around the scapula; anterior, lateral and posterior shoulder; coracobrachialis, biceps brachii, and brachialis.

4. Nerve glides (google first link)

5. Band dislocates and wall slides

6. Foam roll thoracic spine (put 45s on your chest for deeper stretch). Also, roll side to side as you are rolling and try to arch your back wfs
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...pine-mobility/
Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

Could be related to thoracic outlet syndrome. If so, massaging and stretching your pec minor and scalenes may fix it.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Could be related to thoracic outlet syndrome. If so, massaging and stretching your pec minor and scalenes may fix it.
I would agree.... based on OHS position this is most likely cause.

I would try these of the ones I listed above first.

However, if that fails to improve it then I would suggest doing the broad spectrum mobility work recommended in all of the above points
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Megan Starr

Profile:

Thanks for the feed back! I think mobility is an area I need to work on in general, and will focus on the exercises suggested above.

I knew that didn't seem "normal"
Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Megan Starr

Profile:

I googled "thoracic outlet syndrome" (I had never heard of it before) very interesting! Risk factors/Signs/symptoms that I have: long neck w/ sloping shoulders, athletes who frequently raise arms above the head like swimmers/rock climbers (I have been on a swim team of one sort or another from age 5 through highschool), poor circulation in the hands/arms (my hands are always cold, even when no one else is). Thanks, for the info. Its something else to consider....
Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

roll your wrists forward so the weight isn't sitting on your hands. That may help.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
Mike Holman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Starr View Post
Thanks for the feed back! I think mobility is an area I need to work on in general, and will focus on the exercises suggested above.

I knew that didn't seem "normal"
While its definitely not normal/good, a number of people in our gym (myself included) have experienced the same thing when first starting out. With some work on mobility and more familiarity/work with overhead exercises it has gone away.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Shaun Stuto

Profile:

There could be a number of potential issues going on here and without a good exam/workup we can't make a conclusive diagnosis. You could be experiencing a peripheral neuropathy in the hands. Likely the median nerve. The C6 nerve could be impinged/cervical subluxation. You could also have some type of osteophyte (bone spur) at C6. C6 sensory nerves innvervate the thumb and second finger anteriorly in anatomical position. Yes thoracic outlet syndrome is also a potential culprit, but not the go to diagnosis. It is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning you must first eliminate the other potential causes. I'd start with the stretches recommended first, and then look for additional answers if you don't seem to be improving. Keep us posted.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

75 reps of OHS is a lot or reps for someone who is new to the movement. Sometimes you just have to say enough is enough; that X reps would be a good workout but 2X reps is just going to hurt me.