CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Carl Wilkinson

Profile:
Re: 6 foot, 215 pounds , and struggling to do muscle ups.

Thanks for all the advice, hearing Bart Mitchell say he can do them easily at 6' 3" and 210 pounds, as well as Sean Lind say he taught someone who is 6'8 and 265 pounds has been some of the best motivation I've heard in awhile. As well as Stephen Flamm who said there are 4 guys over 200 pounds doing lots of them. I was getting a little discouraged thinking these were a light person's maneuver, but not any longer, now I'm more pumped up to nail them than ever.

Until today I had never done weighted chin ups/dips, seems like something I obviously should have been doing, but just never did until Jamie Skibicki gave me the idea on here. I'm making it a goal to start adding weight to all of my dips/chin up exercises from now on. Unless I'm actually trying the muscle up, or trying to jump into it like Brent Eno Suggested. I did workout at the gym today and added 20 pound ankle weights, I went from doing about 10 chin ups at a time, down to like 6 at a time, but could still do 5 full down dips. Then when the arms were too tired for more then a couple chin ups, I went into doing kips. Just curious, what were some of you guys's successful workout routines to get the muscle up, or get better at it? Like have some of you worked up to doing chin ups/dips with 50 pounds or more, or do you keep it lighter? Do you do dead hang chin ups till your tired and then move into kips? etc?

I guess I'll just keep practicing, and try out some of the techniques that Rob, Brent, Steven, Stephen, Matt, Shane mentioned. Especially the one Brent gave, the imaginary backpack idea, and looking at the cieling then ground seem like great ways to help keep form. I think that throwing myself forward over the rings and bar is probably one of my biggest problems, my weight would always feel like it was back too far, hopefully throwing the head down will help. If anyone has any tips to help throw the weight forward over the bar for bar muscle ups I'd like to heat them.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

This has some good stuff on the bar muscle up.

http://beastskills.com/MuscleUp.htm (WFS)

I have more trouble on a bar than rings for some reason. I think it helps to grip the bar low down on the palm as opposed to in the fingers. Also note to pullup behind the bar rather than underneath it and quickly throw your weight over the bar.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
Brent Eno

Profile:

At my level 1 cert, I was in a group of about 15 people and we were being shown muscle-up technique. The instructor asked if anyone can do them, and two people besides myself raised their hands. One of them was a 5'2 girl, probably 90 lbs. She didn't look particularly strong, but when she was asked if she wanted to demonstrate, she grabbed the rings and did about 5 flawless strict muscle-ups in a row. Every single guy's jaw dropped(did I mention she was pretty hot BEFORE she did that?). One guy was there with his wife or girlfriend, and she slapped him upside the head because she felt he was staring at her for too long.

Moral of the story: you don't have to be that strong, its all technique. If you can do a chest to bar pullup and a ring dip, you can do a muscle up. I think every suggestion that you've been given will help. Just practice. Good luck Carl.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Dale Fellows

Profile:

Yeah man, I'm 6'4 it took me a while to get em too. They have bars on the side of some pools that are used for physical therapy. That helped me out, the natural buoyancy of your body in the water makes it easier to pull yourself over the bar, but still requires enough work to develop the technique. I've never tried them on rings though.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

At our gym there's at least a dozen guys over 200 lbs who can do them.

3 guys can do deadhang MU's @ 230+. Half a dozen can do deadhang at 200+.
I've been able to do them deadhang at 230, now at 200 it's a ton easier though that's for sure
Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #16
Jeff Binek

Profile:

6'3" 210lbs, I got a muscle-up my first attempt ever trying....I could weighted pull-up a considerable amount before I tried....+95lbs for 3x5. Also Practicing Chest to bar with a weighted vest, is probably the best thing, because it forces explosion which is the key to the kipping muscle-up IMO when you're first starting. Get on rings and do each part individually and slow, and see where your weakness lies, then train that. i.e. if you cant do 5 ring dips, you obviously need to get those down, very very deep. If you can't do a strict pull-up with the rings to your chest then you're gonna have a hard time, and if you cant hold yourself up with the false grip then you'll have a hard time as well....
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 07-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Alexander Martin

Profile:

Everything has pretty much been said regarding what you need to do to get better at MU. I had no formal training on MU. I was good at pull ups, and good at dips, and then just started trying them. I started on a bar first, with very awful technique. The more I practiced the better I got, so technique is huge! I got a set of rings eventually and it was a really easy transition to doing MU on the rings.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #18
Seamus Cypher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post

Look up, kip up. To transition, throw your head forward and run your hands down the straps of the imaginary backpack with your elbows tight against your body.
Can't even tell you how great that tip is! Thanks amigo.