CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
Pullups, what should I have done

I've been working on my kipping. I cannot do a deadhang pullup and therefore have been doing jumping pullups. Today we did Angie. I did 100 jumping pullups and half way through the WOD another CF said to be careful and make sure I completely extend my arms so I don't get rhabdo. I'm wondering if this high rep WOD should have been done doing jumping pu or should I have gone back to a band for this WOD?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Pullups, what should I have done

Getting rhabdo from jumping pullups isn't so much a matter of whether you extend your arms--it's whether you try to slow yourself during the eccentric (downward) part of the motion. If you're doing a lot of jumping pullups make sure you don't provide any resistance on the way down.

My advice on Angie for someone who can't do any pullups would be to cut it to maybe 50 jumping pullups then do some strength work on pullups--maybe 3 or 4 sets of 8-10 reps of strict pullups with whatever band you need to do that many reps. That will help develop the strength you need to do pullups.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Thanks Eric. I was doing strict pullups with a band, then got the kip form down and am trying to just learn to do kipping. My husband has said that I should work on doing a deadhang first then learn the kip, but other's say the opposite.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Doing too many kipping pullups if you lack the strength to do more than a few deadhangs is a good way to overstress your shoulder girdle--check out some of the recent injury threads about SLAP or rotator cuff injuries. I'm all for kipping pullups in WODs, but too many people place too much emphasis on how many kipping pullups they can do before they get their shoulder and back strength up to where they should be.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you can't do a pullup, doing angie makes no sense. Do 5x3 with the heaviest pull up you can get. ALternate that with benover or pendlay rows.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Hall View Post
Thanks Eric. I was doing strict pullups with a band, then got the kip form down and am trying to just learn to do kipping. My husband has said that I should work on doing a deadhang first then learn the kip, but other's say the opposite.
Your husband is right. Working on your deadhang is the best way to improve your kipping. Working on kipping at this point offers no benefit over working on your deadhang.

I also agree that Angie makes no sense at this point without significant scaling, either by using a band or substituting a different exercise like body weight rows at an angle that is manageable for you. Pull ups are important to CF and you should follow the 3x5 advice to build up your strength.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Rene' Hardee

Profile:

I can do maybe 1 dead hang pull-up...but I can do about 10 kipping pull-ups in a row. I just kept practicing my kip until I got it...even before I had my dead-hang down. I can see what everyone is saying about possibly hurting yourself though, so practice smartly!
PS- I use a switch-grip on my kip and it keeps me from swinging out of control
Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

First of all, you should always fully extend your elbow during pull-ups regardless of whether they are strict, kipping, banded, or jumping; not because it will prevent rhabdo, but rather because that is the full ROM for the movement. Second, it is possible to work on both your deadhang strength and kipping skills, and you should be spending time on both, with at least half of that effort working toward increased strength. Finally, I concur that in most cases an individual who cannot complete a single pull-up should not be attempting "Angie" with jumping pull-ups. A good coach will have you working on your pulling abilities even in workouts such as these, possibly by having you perform a scaled number of reps with band assistance such that the pull-up portion takes no more than 5-10 minutes.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Zack Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
If you can't do a pullup, doing angie makes no sense. Do 5x3 with the heaviest pull up you can get. ALternate that with benover or pendlay rows.
I'm with Jamie on this one. At minimum learn to be able to do one dead-hang pullup.

Edit: and with Stephen's advice as well.

Last edited by Zack Dunn : 07-08-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Clarification