CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Eric Mills

Profile:
6 foot, 172 pounds... gain weight before Xfit?

I started out at 145lbs and ate like crazy (so I thought, before I read what some people do) while doing compound lifts like crazy. Unfortunately, I kind of took it too far, and didn't make near the progress I could have because I was overtraining like crazy... deadlifting and benching and pressing 2x a week on different days, 5x5 sets, and lots of other things too. Yeah, I should have just done SS.

I'm 6 foot 172 pounds now, which sounds pretty skinny, and I suppose I am, but for my height and weight I do have quite a fit of... flabbiness, I guess. I'm starting up SS again and I was wondering if I should do the whole GOMAD and eat like crazy, or try to eat clean. I want to get my compound lifts to a decent weight before I start Xfit, but I don't want to add to what I believe is already too much fat. Thoughts?

Last edited by Eric Mills : 01-25-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:
Re: 6 foot, 172 pounds... gain weight before Xfit?

Mr. Mills,

People coming to CF with a solid strength background (guys like Jason Khalipa, Rob Orlando, etc) tend to do very well. What are your lifts like right now? I think you could definitely stand to move up to 200+ lbs and still succeed at CF.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Eric,

Read up on the paleo lifestyle. There is quite a bit of information up on the boards, as well as many fitness blogs around the internet. I'm convinced that the paleolithic eating lifestyle is superior in regard to change in body composition.

As far as Crossfit goes, it isn't really about how much weight you can put up on the "compound" or as crossfit would say "functional" movements, rather, it's how well you can move through the range of motion.

Read the FAQ's, hone down the fundamentals, and jump right in.

Welcome to elite fitness.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
Eric,

...it isn't really about how much weight you can put up on the "compound" or as crossfit would say "functional" movements, rather, it's how well you can move through the range of motion.
While I totally agree with your sentiments about Paleo, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Could you explain a little further?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Evan Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
As far as Crossfit goes, it isn't really about how much weight you can put up on the "compound" or as crossfit would say "functional" movements, rather, it's how well you can move through the range of motion.

Read the FAQ's, hone down the fundamentals, and jump right in.

Welcome to elite fitness.
A subtle troll? He's using two of the more hilariously goofy things about Crossfit (the meaningless fitness-babble, and the claims of "eliteness")? Who knows these days...
Old 01-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
People coming to CF with a solid strength background (guys like Jason Khalipa, Rob Orlando, etc) tend to do very well. What are your lifts like right now? I think you could definitely stand to move up to 200+ lbs and still succeed at CF.
Other than teenagers and steroid users, I haven't met or heard of any sub-150 lb. six-footers who put on 50 pounds of bodyweight and didn't get fat in the process. If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear their story.

I really don't buy in to the whole thought process of needing to get in shape before starting Crossfit.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Pat Dimitri

Profile:

What're your goals? What are you're current 1RPM's on the major lifts?

Almost regardless of those answers.. I'm going to go ahead and say you will stand to benefit a lot from doing SS and doing a loose paleo+dairy before starting xfit.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Evan Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Other than teenagers and steroid users, I haven't met or heard of any sub-150 lb. six-footers who put on 50 pounds of bodyweight and didn't get fat in the process. If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear their story.
http://****************.com/index.ph...novice_effect/
Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Zach Evetts started with us here in late August of 2009 and by November 12 when I weighed him and measured his bodyfat he had gained a total of 55 pounds of bodyweight and a little over 31 pounds of lean body mass (LBM).
24 pounds of fat and Zach had just turned 20 years old. I rest my case.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Eric Mills

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post

I really don't buy in to the whole thought process of needing to get in shape before starting Crossfit.
OP here, and I would fall into the first category... I'm 17. I thought if I did lots of big lifts I wouldn't get fat, but lo and behold, I've got some tubbiness now, even at 6 foot 172 pounds. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I overtrained so much that I my progress didn't go up like is normal.

Here's some rough estimates of what my 1 rep maxes are. I haven't actually tried it, but I'd feel pretty comfortable doing these weights.

Squat: 175 or 180.
Bench: 165.
Press: 110.
Deadlift: 205 or 210.
Power clean: Not sure, I've just started recently doing these.