CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
John Walsh

Profile:
Ok I got my rings for my birthday in December and still can’t do a muscle up.:angry: If I keep the ring at about my forehead I can jump/pull myself into a muscle up but that doesn’t count. I have noticed that as I have been losing weight I am getting closer to getting one. Are there many guys out there doing MUs and weighing over 200 pounds or am I just setting myself up with an excuse for not getting a muscle up?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Since you can do 20 pull-ups I'm guessing it's a question of technique.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm over 200 and do muscle-ups, Paul is correct, technique is key. Make sure you have a good false grip, I pull the rings close together and almost touch the back of my hands together, pull to the chest, and then violently rotate my arms out, catching myself is a low dip position, then its just a bottom up dip.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Peter Galloway

Profile:

John, I hope it is possible to achieve a muscle up at a weight of over 200lbs, because it is one of my goals and I am unlikely to drop below the 200 mark without amputation!:lol:

Keep trying, and let us know when you achieve it - I need all the encouragement I can get!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:
At 210-215, I have to ask, is this tearing up your inner elbows any? I have to rehab a week after attempting a muscle-up to get the elbow pain to subside.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I just got my rings. I'm over 200lbs. I suck at pullups. I can barely hold a false grip and extend my arms to a dead hang. Nonetheless, every time I do a pushup, bodyrow or support on the rings I feel stronger and more confident that I will join the muscle up club one day. Don't give up hope, John. Did you get the ring training DVD too? Are you doing all those exercises as well? I think it's just a matter of time and persistance.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #7
Eric Moffit

Profile:
you got it, keith...time and persistance. i normally weigh just over 200 and i got my first muscleup months after i got my rings. oh yeah, and i could do over 20 pullups and 20 dips. you see, 1 pullup + 1 dip does not equal 1 muscleup. the transition is KEY. once you get the transition, youre in the club. oh yeah, and i got my first muscleup on a rest day after having done a bunch of pullup WODs (including a weighted pullup WOD) one set of WODs prior (so i did the muscleup 4 days after those WODs = plenty of time to heal/get stronger). really try to get strong at the top of your pullup. then pretty soon youll be able to 'muscle' your shoulders over your hands and transition to the dip portion. hope that helps...and if it does, feel free to trade me for some of your DL strength.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Keep at it. The muscle up is a lot of technique, and just knowing how to get your weight on top of the rings. If you can do 20 consecutive pull ups then you are likely strong enough. How are your dips?

I am not over 200 lbs, but I can do a muscle up with weights so that I am.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:39 AM   #9
John Walsh

Profile:
Thanks lads. I can do over 20 consecutive pull-ups on a bar and could always rip out plenty of dips. I guess I need to keep working on transition. I just can’t seem to get my weight on top of the rings. I’ll keep at it.

Keith,

What DVD are you referring to?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I was referring to the Ring Training DVD w/ Jordan Jovtchek (sp?) that Tyler sells on Ringtraining.com

It starts with pushup variations, body rows and pullup variations then supports. Then finally moves to the muscle up. He demos a supported muscle up from the body row. Imagine doing a supported L-sit from the rings with your heels resting on a chair or something. Then you lower down to a supported lever. You pullup/body row yourself up and transition the same as a muscle up and push/dip yourself back to the L-sit position.

From my own experience sometimes training different skills makes the one you are really trying to achieve easier. Like squats making your bench press better. I think lots of playing and doing a variety of different skills with attention to the details of turning the wrists at the end will lead to better adaptation to the muscle up than just pullups and dips. This is pure speculation on my part as I have not achieved the muscle up yet. But I feel from just doing all manner of pushups, supports, dips, abs, body rows and pullups on the rings with focus on the little details of hand/wrist placement and proper alignment I feel so much stronger and it hasn't been a week yet.

Also consider some jumpstretch bands to help you get through the sticking point. Numerous reps with the j/s bands will probably lead to a few unassisted ones.

time and persistance. thanks for all the support and encouragement guys.