CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-02-2005, 06:01 AM   #1
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Have you guys seen these?

http://www.torqueathletic.com/product.php?deptid=3&catid=72&subcatid=122&pid=512 1&r=-6229

http://www.torqueathletic.com/product.php?deptid=3&catid=72&subcatid=122&pid=501 7&r=9937

http://www.torqueathletic.com/product.php?deptid=3&catid=72&subcatid=122&pid=512 4&r=14508

I've been wanting to get some rings, but what kind? And I hear that Coach Sommer is working on a "Cross Lever," whatever that is...

Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Honestly, for the same (close, anyway) price I'd go with Tyler Hass's Power Rings, also developed with Torque (http://www.ringtraining.com/).

Not sure what the advantage of the half-ring is, except maybe for portability.

Tyler hangs out here on the board sometimes, so if you have specific questions, I'd imagine he'd chime in.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Matt

I just got me some power rings and they're great. I got the ones with the red straps which are the same as you get from ringtraining.com. I think those are the ones that most people here have been getting. I love them. Torque is a great company but I don't see the point in the other two kinds of rings.

The black straps with the extra loop in them look interesting for quickly changing heights, but are mostly not necessary because changing the ring height is relatively easy and I don't think that offers a significant speed advantage. IMHO.

The half rings are clever, but I would get the full rings because I suspect the feel is different. Yes, the full rings are a little heavier, but as you get stronger you won't mind carrying a couple of extra pounds around with you.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Yeah, that was my thought too. I'd rather support Tyler.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Tyler is one of us, he get's my money (I should say he got my money)!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
The way I understand it is that Torque makes and distributes the power rings. I ordered mine off ringtraining.com but when they came they were from Torque. I'm sure Tyler will clarify.

Personally, I think that's a little whack. I would have put a non-compete clause in that agreement. They shouldn't be making competing products and selling them.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Hey guys, thanks for your support. I appreciate it immensely.
I designed the Power Rings and initially made them locally, out of plastic. After a few months, I started a manufacturing deal with Torque Athletic. They do the manufacturing and handle the shipping for the Power Rings. I'm in college, so I have no place in my apartment to store hundreds of boxes of rings! You guys are especially lucky that I don't do the welding. They would definitely not resemble rings if I was the one making them. ;-)
Adjusting the Power Rings is definitely very quick. One thing you can do to make it go faster is to measure the heights for commmon exercises you do and then mark the straps with a sharpee pen. That way, you can just put them right there and not have to worry about making them level each time you adjust them.
Keith, don't worry about it. The people at Torque are good guys, as is Jeff Martone. I don't think they're trying to rip me off. They are just making slightly different rings for slightly different markets. If they can provide something for a market that I can't provide, then that's my fault and not theirs. In any case, I'm extremely happy with where I am right now. I get to do training videos with world champion gymnasts and last weekend I got to go to a competition with Jordan Jovtchev. I had full behind-the-scenes access and he introduced me to a lot of the other athletes and coaches. I met athletes from about 30 countries. So don't feel sorry for me, I consider myself incredibly lucky for all of the amazing experiences I've been able to have.
Thanks again for your support.

Tyler
Old 03-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Well, this is an easy choice...

I'm definitely going with Tyler!

Keep doing what you're doing!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #9
Matt Midcap

Profile:

Just ordered Tyler's, can't wait to get them.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
John Phipps

Profile:
I just ordered a set of Tylers Power Rings as well. I almost ordered the DVD but didn't. Maybe I can get a copy from my library or somewhere. For todays WOD I am going to do a total of 150 dips and pull-ups so I decided to get the rings now. I will find out how hard muscle-ups, ring pull-ups/dips/push-ups really are. Maybe I will be wishing to go back to the normal ones. :happy:

Anybody have some links to some good beginner ring training? Thanks in advance.