CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Alex Chaney

Profile:
The Best Movements

I thought these were pretty interesting links about Pavel's opinions on the best movements (push, pull, squat and hinge). What are your opinions?
All are wfs.

http://www.strongfirst.com/the-best-press/
http://www.strongfirst.com/the-best-upper-body-pull/
http://www.strongfirst.com/the-best-squat/
http://www.strongfirst.com/the-best-hip-hinge-exercise/

Last edited by Alex Chaney : 11-29-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: The Best Movements

Far be it from me to criticize Pavel. Good arguments, I would consider what he says for sure if I was training for just general strength in life.

The one thing I disagree with is putting snatch and clean in the "hip hinge" category as if they are similar to the other exercises on there. They are just too complex of movements to put in a single category like that really, and unlike the other movements on there, the main driver of the lifts aren't the posterior chain.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Far be it from me to criticize Pavel. Good arguments, I would consider what he says for sure if I was training for just general strength in life.

The one thing I disagree with is putting snatch and clean in the "hip hinge" category as if they are similar to the other exercises on there. They are just too complex of movements to put in a single category like that really, and unlike the other movements on there, the main driver of the lifts aren't the posterior chain.
I agree however the variations that do not include a full squat (power snatch/clean) should be considered a hip hinge IMO.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Not really. Its the same exact movement, just to a half or quarter or whatever squat. Doesnt change the mechanics of the pull. But I digress.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
Greg Sheppard

Profile:

Jeff,

With the way Pavel teaches the KB Snatch and KB Clean at the RKC and Strongfirst he believes in the hip hinge and loading up the posterior chain for those movements so it is the primary driver.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Does he still do RKC? What is all this Strongfirst stuff?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sheppard View Post
Jeff,

With the way Pavel teaches the KB Snatch and KB Clean at the RKC and Strongfirst he believes in the hip hinge and loading up the posterior chain for those movements so it is the primary driver.
KB snatch and clean, sure, no argument. But it says "barbell" specifically.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

to recap for anyone to lazy to click all the links:

Best press = bench press
Best upper body pull = hollow position pull-up
Best Squat = Zercher squat
Best hip hinge = KB swing

Like someone else said, who am I to speak against a guy as established as Pavel, but i'm still gonna do it.

It comes down to specificity in my book, do what you need/want to get good at mainly, and then work on your weaknesses.

I wouldn't give up deadlifts to only do KB swings, just like i wouldn't give up FS and BS for Zerchers.

I don't exactly know what Pavel's criteria are to name them BEST, but I can say i disagree with some.

I also think zerchers and KB swings both done/taught properly take longer to teach and get good at then back squats and deadlifts. Let's not get started about how hard I find front squats haha.

One funny observation I saw though was that for press for example he used barbell, KB, and bodyweight, he did not use DB, from personal experience I will say pressing of any kind with KB is more difficult then DB and way more uncomfortable.

I'll finish by saying there is a reason why they are called the big 3 (squat, bench, dead) or the big 4 (OHP, Squat, Bench, Dead)...because they are kings in terms of bang for your buck in the strength world.