CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #41
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:
Re: "Eva"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
(Just finished a 3-month SS cycle on Friday, I'm benchmarking tomorrow, then I'm going to give the Big 21 Oly program a shot. Then more or less back to the WoDs.)
Brandon, I'm getting a hold of Rip's SS ASAP so I can improve my form on Oly lifts, but I'm really not interested in gaining weight. I want to improve (regain) my gymnastics abilities --- planches, free HSPUs, ring HSPUs, pull-ups especially. How do you think SS will affect gymnastics? Are CFers doing SS losing gymnastic ability, or do they plan to do a recovery phase to regain / improve it? Or can you gain ~25 pounds and offset it with enough strength to also improve gymnastics?

And how much weight have you put on?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #42
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
There are no subs for women. Only subs for people who can't complete it As Rx'd.
It's quite possible (Kelly Moore has shown this), but most women are going to require a very long time to use those kinds of weights. The average man has more strength (and muscle/bodyweight/height) than the average woman. Even though my bodyweight and strength levels are similar to women's, I am still better qualified to do 95 lb thrusters (not always true, but with similar training history, most likely the case).

It's not unfair, it's just genetics. Women should aim for men's weights at some point in the future, but it's unrealistic to expect it of them normally.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #43
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirez Reynolds View Post
Brandon, I'm getting a hold of Rip's SS ASAP so I can improve my form on Oly lifts, but I'm really not interested in gaining weight. I want to improve (regain) my gymnastics abilities --- planches, free HSPUs, ring HSPUs, pull-ups especially. How do you think SS will affect gymnastics? Are CFers doing SS losing gymnastic ability, or do they plan to do a recovery phase to regain / improve it? Or can you gain ~25 pounds and offset it with enough strength to also improve gymnastics?

And how much weight have you put on?
One of our gymnasts can probably answer this better. You can do the program without weight gain and get benefits, but whether it would be the fastest way to gymnastic strength I couldn't say.

More to come in a non-thread hijack.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:58 AM   #44
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
If she couldn't complete it As Rx'd, then you were correct in scaling it down.

I believe you missed my point. Gender, I don't think, should itself be a factor in scaling. The only thing that should be considered in scaling is the participant's physical ability. It has to do with how you're looking at the case, not what you actually do.

For example, let's say Girl A can't Bench Press her bodyweight, so you scale Linda for her. Your rationale for scaling should be "because she can't lift the weight," rather than "because she's a girl."
Well, guys have different abilities too, but we need to pick some standard to call "rx'd."

It's because they can't lift as much, but yes, that's basically because they're girls, with various consequent physiological differences.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #45
Nathan Francis

Profile:

64 minutes, as RXed (70 lb. D.B. instead of KB. Shooting for 50 min. next time since my lunch was garbage prior to the workout. That was a great workout, hope to see more like it.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #46
Marc McLellan

Profile:

59:45 as RXed.

It was during a pretty bad sand storm. The run killed! It took 30-60 sec longer to do the 2nd 400m against the wind. Opened 3 callouses on the pull-ups.

The WOD was easily as hard as the last 3 WOD's together. I had a PR on the Pull-ups on Lynne so my back and lower arms were still thrashed!

I have much room for improvement here...

Marc
Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #47
Anthony DiSarro

Profile:

I got through the first round Rx'd, then thought of my children and scaled things back a bit by dropping the PU's to 20 and the run in half. I had to do my Pu's from crossbar in the end zone of the field I was using.

To make this story worse, 45 minutes after my shift started I ended up in a foot chase on wobbly legs no less. 9 hours later, about an hour before my shift ended, a vehicle pursuit which ended you guessed it...in a foot chase through a good sized orange grove. I'm smoked.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #48
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

I guess what Im looking for, and Derek's weight chart of scaled weights for woment really does help, is if there is a percentage that can be used at all times for all weights on WOD's. Maybe two percentagesne for weights that are posted like barbell and KB and one for WOD's that require bodyweight or % of bodyweight. Also, appreciate everyone's input. I scaled Eva for her down to 3 Rounds of 400m / 15 1 pood KB swings and 15 jumping PU's. She knocked it out in 14:01. Gave us an opportunity to identify some form issues, and a few strengths and weaknesses. I also scaled to 3 rounds of 800m / 50# DB swing(biggest DB I own) and 30 PU's. My time was 30:32. Another 2 rounds would have taken me all of another 30 minutes or more.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #49
Mark McFarland

Profile:

OUCH! I confess - I did not finish - I ran out of time - I've been doing the cfwu and just added the grip warm-up - I started 1 hour before I had to quit and ran out of time...CRAP
Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #50
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony DiSarro View Post
I got through the first round Rx'd, then thought of my children and scaled things back a bit by dropping the PU's to 20 and the run in half. I had to do my Pu's from crossbar in the end zone of the field I was using.

To make this story worse, 45 minutes after my shift started I ended up in a foot chase on wobbly legs no less. 9 hours later, about an hour before my shift ended, a vehicle pursuit which ended you guessed it...in a foot chase through a good sized orange grove. I'm smoked.
Sounds like effective combat focus training to me! Hell add a stress shoot and you'd be good to go for the day!