CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Ian Strompf

Profile:
Sound System

What are your setups for music?

I was thinking of running 2 JBL speakers (professional type) on a crown (or similar) amp. Hook up a PC to the amp for mp3 and I'm all set. What do you think?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Jared Aquilina

Profile:
Re: Sound System

Def go with a CPU hookup. Much more control and variation with that...especially considering all these music streaming sites
Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Greg Keeter

Profile:

We had problems with a cheap amp cutting out at high volume levels but I fixed that with a refurbished NAD 725BEE. While still expensive there isn't anymore shutting down! We use it to run 4 Polk Audio indoor/outdoor speakers. Now we can play it as loud and as long as we like!

For the source we use Pandora primarily with cds as backup if we have internet or other issues. But since the new amps arrived it's been rock steady!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

A word on pro speakers (e.g JBL) vs. home-style (e.g. Polk) speakers:

Pro speakers are way more sensitive (i.e. loud) than home speakers, often getting as much as 100db for 1 watt of power vs 85db for 1 watt for typical home speakers. (Every increase of 3db requires a doubling of the wattage. A speaker with an 89db sensitivity requires twice the power as 92db sensitivity to get the same loudness.) This makes pro speakers much cheaper than say, buying huge amplifiers and lots of home speakers. Pro speakers achieve efficiency because their materials are stiffer, which requires bigger boxes. It's simple physics. If you want low, thumping bass you need either big, stiff, sensitive speakers or small, soft, inefficient speakers. Pick big and stiff.

Pro speakers can also typically can handle more power, meaning you're less likely to blow your speakers the first time you take them outside and try to pump everyone up with some ear-shattering metal.

Love my JBLs. I've had good luck with Electo-Voice as well. I've blown many cheap speakers in my day. I gave my brother some cheap little monitor speakers back when he was playing in the Army band and he managed to catch them on fire.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 07-16-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Karl Steeves

Profile:

We use a Bose Wave radio and it gets loud and clear enough to drown out 2 industrial fans, people's grunting and weights being dropped. My box is 21x15 metersish and it gets the job done.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Yes, size of the box is a huge consideration. Home gear that you already own might get the job done in a small inside space like Karl's. (Bose is notoriously inefficient) But get into a big box and home-style gear will let you down.

For sure shop at a place like Guitar Center instead of Mack's Stereo. Go to the pro audio department, tell 'em what your situation is.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Ian Strompf

Profile:

Lincoln, thanks for the input. I am in the process of finding a space right now, so I guess that will determine the speaker size.