CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:
Heavy D's Workout Log

Hey everyone...

This is pretty much meant for my own sake by allowing me to compare and contrast results from older workouts I've done and future workouts I will get done, but feel free to offer any advice/criticism, etc.

A little bit of background info:

20 year old male
about 5'7''
185#

I've been CrossFitting for about four months now, and I look forward to the WOD's every day. Sometimes one workout just isn't enough and I have to do another just to get my fix!

I just completed my second Boston Marathon on April 20th, so I think I'll be out of comission at least until this weekend. I just wanted to get this thread started so it'll keep me honest with my workouts.

I have been advised by a CF friend of mine to look into CrossFit Endurance, so I may be adding that to my workout schedule as well.

Wish me luck!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:
Re: Heavy D's Workout Log

Finally! I'm back in business.

My legs are still a bit sore from the Marathon, but I felt good/confident enough to get back into the WOD's.

Today's workout was the Southern California Qualifier WOD #1:

6 Rounds for time of:
30 Squats
10 Chest to Bar Pull Ups
5 Power Clean / Anyway Overhead x155/ 105#

Results: Around 22 minutes.

After three rounds I was breathing heavy, and from then on it was an endurance race.
I was having trouble getting my chest to the bar. This is the first time I've tried and failed pretty miserably. I stuck with my dead hangs.
My power cleans are starting to look a LOT better, but still need much improvement.

Overall, I'm pretty unhappy with my time, but I am glad that I decided to get back into the swing of things.

Still no word on the Endurance workouts yet. POSSIBLY starting next week?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Last night I ended up going to the gym again for a double workout. Like I said, sometimes I just can't get enough.

I ended up doing a tabata deadlift workout. 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off for 4 minutes. I was deadlifting 135# (which I thought was somewhat appropriate at the time because of my recovery/double workout) and they ended up getting pretty damn hard towards the end.

Anyway, that was my first actual tabata workout, and I ended up getting 46 reps.

As for today, I came home from college for the weekend and went to my local YMCA. They don't have the equipment I needed to do the workout, so I ended up going for Angie.

I've attempted this workout two other times previously, and I was unable to finish her either time! (this is the only workout out of filthy 50, FGB, Murph, etc that I could NOT do!) The first time I scaled it down to 75 reps each of pull ups, push ups, sit ups, squats. The second time I cut it in half at 50 each. The pull ups are the ones that give me trouble. I can't seem to string more than 5 together after I hit the 50 mark. I truly need to learn the kip so I'm not wasting so much energy on my dead hangs.

Third time's a charm... I was determined to finish her, and I got it!
"Angie"

For time:
100 Pull-ups
100 Push ups
100 Sit ups
100 Squats
*Complete each exercise before moving on to the next.

Results: 29:08
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Today's WOD:

For Time:
1,000m row (Subbed for 200 reps of 40# rows)
25 Overhead Squats 95#
100m sprint
50 Kettlebell Swing 35#
100m sprint
25 Burpees
200m sprint

Results: 16:10

I had an easier time with the overhead sqats than I thought I would. I got all 25 reps straight, which surprised me. The kettlebell swings got pretty tough around 30 reps, and the burpees were painful. All of the sprints were my "rest," but I think I was shortchanged on the distance because my college's treadmills were taken by a bunch of girls walking while reading their textbooks. Ugh.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Today's workout was quick, but fun.

Thrusters
5-5-5-5-5

The heaviest Thruster I've attempted thus far was the typical 95# thruster for Fran. I've brought my Fran time down from my original of 20+ minutes to just over 6 minutes in just THREE attempts. This is one of my CF accomplishments I am most proud of.

However, tonight I challenged myself and went for 135# on the thruster. Once I hit Fran in under 5 minutes, I will graduate to 135# thrusters from then on.

So I gradually increased weight by 10 pounds after every set of 5.
1st set- 95#
2nd- 105#
3rd-115#
4th-125#
5th-135#

and then I did one extra rep of 135 for good luck!

PS: I tried barefoot lifting tonight for the first time as well. I felt pretty comfortable with it, but my fellow college students looked at me like I had 10 heads.

If only people were a bit more accepting and inquisitive, rather than so judgemental....Oh well

Last edited by Dennis Moriconi : 04-28-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Today's workout was straight from the Devil's Playbook.

I stupidly underestimated this workout to an extreme level and I paid for it dearly.

As Many Rounds As Possible in 20 minutes of:

10 Sumo-Deadlift High-Pulls 95#
12 Wall Balls (Substituted with 45# Thrusters)
15 Box Jumps

I originally thought to myself, "Hey, maybe I can bang out 15 rounds of this." After the first two rounds, I was gassed and dreading every SDLHP thereafter. I immediately dropped my goal to a possible 10 rounds, but ultimately was unsuccessful.

My results: 5 rounds plus an extra 5 SDLHP's.
MISERABLE.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Norcal Qual WOD

Row 500m (Subbed with 100 reps of 40# rows)
30 Burpees
10 Shoulder-to-Overhead (Men: 165#, Women: 95#)
(I wasn't too sure what these were, did a bit of research and couldn't find them. I was in a bit of a rush to get to the gym before it closed, so subbed with push-presses instead. Couldn't do the RX 165# so I used 135#)

I did this workout in 7:46

I enjoyed this quick little workout late at night after a long boring day. I think I could have lowered my time a bit but I had to change the weights from 165-135 and kept the clock running.

This workout was a nice way to end the week.

PS- Putting 135 up above your head makes you look like a Roman God.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moriconi View Post
Norcal Qual WOD

Row 500m (Subbed with 100 reps of 40# rows)
30 Burpees
10 Shoulder-to-Overhead (Men: 165#, Women: 95#)
(I wasn't too sure what these were, did a bit of research and couldn't find them. I was in a bit of a rush to get to the gym before it closed, so subbed with push-presses instead. Couldn't do the RX 165# so I used 135#)

I did this workout in 7:46

I enjoyed this quick little workout late at night after a long boring day. I think I could have lowered my time a bit but I had to change the weights from 165-135 and kept the clock running.

This workout was a nice way to end the week.

PS- Putting 135 up above your head makes you look like a Roman God.
Hi dennis! just stopping through on another massho!e's log.

shoulder to overhead just means "get the bar from the rack position to overhead anyway you want to"

for the beasts, that means shoulder presses. for the not so beastly, push jerks or split jerks. as long as you're locked out overhead, it's fine.

where you working out in boston?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Hey Renee!

Thanks for stopping by. And thank you for clearing that up. I'm glad I was not too far off with my guess.

Right now I am finishing up the school year in Milton, where I workout with my roommate in our school's pathetic little gym.

I live very close to Boston though, so I'm hoping I can find a decent paying job this summer so I can afford to pay for my addiction!

I would love to work alongside other CFers at a real box...
We shall see how that pans out.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Today was a "rest" day.

My little brother had his 5th birthday party today, and there was a moonbounce in our backyard. There were about 15 little kids who needed adult supervision in the bounce, and I was in there bouncing around all day.

I was chasing them around, bouncing over them, timing them to see how fast they could complete the obstacle course, and then tried to beat those times (unsuccessfully).

At the end of the day, I am physically exhausted, and covered with "rug" burns from all the rubbing up against the rubber and the nets.

Gotta love little kids.