CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Brandon Wozniewicz

Profile:
Can't a cheat meal kill most of your results?

I've always liked the idea of a cheat meal, but looking just at calories in/out (and maybe I'm missing some calories out due to Cross fit's after affects), it seems if you burning in the 500-1000 calories per workout times(X) 5 workouts a week, your burning an additional 2500-5000 calories from exercise.

So my point is a bad meal, at lets say Chili's, (their baby back ribs) is 2000-3000 calories alone, that's over half of what you burning when your in the high end! I've compared other common bad meals, and 1500 is on the low end, upwards of 4000 on the high end for a bad meal!

When I hear people talk about an entire cheat "day" it makes me cringe.

Am I missing a piece of the formula? Really hope someone can convince me its ok lol

Thanks for replies in advance

Brandon

Last edited by Brandon Wozniewicz; 10-24-2012 at 05:58 AM..
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Can't a cheat meal kill most of your results?

Lets start with the workouts. When I was tracking my calories and tracking the workouts, a 10 minute CrossFit Metcon burned about 100 calories. I'm not 100% that is accurate, but it worked very well. So I doubt anyone is burning 500-1000 calories per workout doing CrossFit.

As far as calories go, it is a marathon, not a spring. I base it on a 7 day period. For me, maintenance is 2150 calories per day (roughly 15,000 per week). (To loose 1lb per week, I'd have to cut out 500 calories and to gain, I'd have eat 500 calories more per day). So if I eat 2150 for 6 days and I go ape***** on the 7th day and have about 5000 calories in one day, I will pay for it.

That is the thing that people don't understand about the "cheat days". If I know I'm going to have a party or a planned cheat day, I try to plan ahead and cut out some snacks during the week or I'm just a little careful that day. Just because you are having a "cheat day" doesn't mean you have to cheat the whole day. Nor do you have to have 10 slices of pizza or gorge yourself with whatever you are having.

This is just my experience while being on the Paleo diet since 2010. Contrary to popular belief, you can actually get fat on the Paleo Diet.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Brandon Wozniewicz

Profile:

Great post!, Yes, I was trying to be generous with the calories burned to favor the cheat meal, I have heard people usually burn less than 500.

Couple comments:

I'm not sure if I agree calorie consumption its completely cumulative. For example, if you eat nothing but fat in the morning, or too many calories in the morning, haven't you done your damage? I don't think the body works such as "hang on, don't process those calories, lets see what he or she eats for lunch."

On the other end eating too few calories to compensate for a bigger meal later in the week- won't that just damage your metabolism, and when you eat that 3000 kcal meal, then again, your body doesn't say "he or she didn't eat much earlier so lets be nice," I would be inclined to believe it says "well we have more than enough calories for this meal, store the rest as fat"

I look like it, as you have maybe an hour to manage your calorie intake. I.E if you eat way too much fat at 6am, you probably have until about 7am to try to re-balance yourself. Outside of that, I've always been under the impression, the goal of Paelo is to eat balanced well proportioned meals, and if you "mess up" don't try to compensate for earlier meals later - the body doesn't work that way. It doesn't wait till 10pm/or later in the week, to see what or how many calories you have eaten, and then process those.

Keep the replies going, very interested in this area!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
John C Corona

Profile:

I dont think a cheat meal can kill results, really. Its more like a speed bump. Feeling like crap hinders performance, sure. I have also had sessions were I felt slow (due to bad meal night before), but ended up PR'ing as well, so go figure. I prefer cheating before a rest day cause there is a whole 'nother day to work out the food hangover. Cheating for multiple meals over an entire day, well the speed bump is just larger.

I also do what Paulo does, where I under eat slightly (or refrain from some not so ideal carbs) leading up to the all u can eat buffett. You're probably right Brandon, that probably isnt the best for you, and maybe Im doing this just to keep weight the same.

Last edited by John C Corona; 10-24-2012 at 06:35 AM..
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Paulo Santos

Profile:

If you're already on a deficit to lose weight, then the most that a "cheat day" will do to you is most likely bring you back to maintenance level, so that week, you won't loose any weight. The problem is for the guys that are trying to maintain and all of a sudden they are gaining unwanted weight. That is when the "cheat day" will put a hurting on you.

With the Paleo diet, it is a good idea to eat for balance, so I have protein, fats and carbs at every meal. I've also had an unbalance meal here and there and I didn't see any difference. When I checked my percentages, I was always close to 35% protein, 40% fat and 25% carbs. There were days where it was 50% protein, 40% fat and 10% carbs and it all evens out in the end.

I've also seen diet plans where they purposely fluctuate calories per day to throw your body off. In the end, the calories at the end of the week are still the same. That's all that maters.

Last edited by Paulo Santos; 10-24-2012 at 06:48 AM..
Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Depends on what you mean by 'results'. Weight loss, fitness, health, mass gain, strength, etc. Also kind of depends on what you mean by cheat, is this paleo, zone, or what? There are pretty big differences...(and all of this probably isn't helping but I guess it would be more helpful to know what you consider cheating).

Also, I'm not so sold on how much calories matter compared to food content and hormones. If I have a high carb meal I try to have some extra protein too. When I cheat I also take more fish oil and that seems to help although I can't really back it up.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
David Sigmon

Profile:

Whew, i must be doing something wrong. I'm losing between 1-3 lbs a week, dieting monday-saturday and have an all out cheat day sunday. i have more energy the following days and feel better. my cheat day is easily over 5-6k calories...hmmm....

if you are timing your cheats right, it will actually increase your metabolic rate and lower leptin levels in the body. there's a LOT of positive that come from a cheat and no, it won't set you back if you do things right...it's all about timing.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Brandon Wozniewicz

Profile:

What would be an example of good timing?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Jason Peacock

Profile:

If you schedule/design your cheat meals properly, they can actually help you lean out. You'll want to read about "carb cycling".
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Brian Michaelson

Profile:

What if you cheat everyday but numbers and performance are increasing? Strange..