CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Zowie Hanssen

Profile:
Re: Can't a cheat meal kill most of your results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Michaelson View Post
What if you cheat everyday but numbers and performance are increasing? Strange..
Then it just means your body is getting what it needs fuel wise to give the result that you are experiencing. Cheating doesn't mean you will necessarily perform badly on the positive side of the balance, unless you eat twinkies all the time. Usually performance problems happen on the negative side of the balance e.g cutting calories.

Like Dave said cheating can actually help if you know when, how and what to do.

There is a interesting book called the 4hour Body by Timothy Ferris who by the way is very scientific in his approaches and uses science to back up his theories. His program for fat loss includes a mandatory cheat day, yea I said it, MANDATORY cheat day. check it out, its interesting if nothing else>>>>>>>http://fourhourbody.com/
Old 10-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Andre J Gordon-Ruddell

Profile:

I am firm believer in two cheat meals a week.
My cheat meals consist of going to a mates place and eating carbs and ice cream and other goodies. The other is saturday or sunday lunch time when I have deep fired chicken and chips with a thick shake. That's it otherwise its full Paleo all week.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Whatever your goal when it comes to diet you need to have a long term view. One meal isn't going to mess with your metabolism or anything else. You are overthinking and that's never helpful. Set up a diet that supports your long term goal and stick to it the majority of the time and do not stress out when you don't once in a while.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

I cant say that a cheat meal has ever significantly affected my performance, but a cheat binge with booze definitely has. I can feel the effects of the binge for a few days after in my muscular endurance.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sigmon View Post
Whew, i must be doing something wrong. I'm losing between 1-3 lbs a week, dieting monday-saturday and have an all out cheat day sunday. i have more energy the following days and feel better. my cheat day is easily over 5-6k calories...hmmm....

if you are timing your cheats right, it will actually increase your metabolic rate and lower leptin levels in the body. there's a LOT of positive that come from a cheat and no, it won't set you back if you do things right...it's all about timing.
I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact that you are around 10% body fat. You can get away with a lit more stuff than someone that is 20% bodyfat. I'm just under 15%, so I can't go too crazy or I'll start putting on weight around my midsection.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sigmon View Post
if you are timing your cheats right, it will actually increase your metabolic rate and lower leptin levels in the body. there's a LOT of positive that come from a cheat and no, it won't set you back if you do things right...it's all about timing.
Refeeds (high carb meals/days) will HIGHER leptin levels.

Lyle McDonald has written a lot about refeeds.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

We can make all the broad generalizations we want, but it comes down to the fact that it varies from person to person. It will vary greatly based on where you are at physically and what your goals are. I can recognize the point that for most/average population one single cheat meal for someone just trying to lose weight isn't going to be a significant impact and will pretty much immediately rebound, whereas for me, a single cheat meal of the kind you're talking about here can/has literally undone weeks worth of work.

If it's not leading you toward your goals, pick and choose where you have cheats. How you do that is up to you.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Refeeds (high carb meals/days) will HIGHER leptin levels.

Lyle McDonald has written a lot about refeeds.
you're right, that's what I meant to say and thank you for the correction.

for anyone wanting to read up on those matters:

bodyrecomposition dot com is a pretty good resource.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
We can make all the broad generalizations we want, but it comes down to the fact that it varies from person to person. It will vary greatly based on where you are at physically and what your goals are. I can recognize the point that for most/average population one single cheat meal for someone just trying to lose weight isn't going to be a significant impact and will pretty much immediately rebound, whereas for me, a single cheat meal of the kind you're talking about here can/has literally undone weeks worth of work.

If it's not leading you toward your goals, pick and choose where you have cheats. How you do that is up to you.
What do you consider "undoing weeks worth of work?" I mean, what are you judging this by? The scale weight? Look in the mirror? Your Fran time?

I can increase upwards of 10-12 lbs in one cheat day (weighing Sunday morning fasted then Monday morning) and by the following Sunday, I'm down the 10-12 pounds PLUS another pound or two and look leaner. Are you giving yourself time to regulate before making those assumptions or....?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Yes, I mean weeks of work to lose a couple measly lbs, that I then have to work for several weeks again to re-lose after a cheat.