CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Victor Goodman

Profile:
4 Months in Crossfit

Hey everyone. I have been in Crossfit (seriously) since January. I've lost 15 pounds so far, but I am getting frustrated with dieting. My Crossfit affiliate had a Paleo diet challenge last month and that is where I lost most of the weight. Now, I seem to be planing out and can't lose any more. I'm currently at 215 and I want to get to >210 before we go to the beach in mid June.

How do any of you go about your diets? I'm not very educated when it comes to this and was wondering what do some of you eat and how much? What sort of supplements do any of you take? Should I be taking anything immediately post-workout?

My workouts are getting better by the day but I can't seem to get the diet under control where I don't feel like I'm starving myself most of the time. I feel like if I can get that under control a weight will be lifted off of my shoulders.

As far as the Paleo challenge we did last month, I basically almost ate the same things daily and that tends to get a little old after a while.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Tim Cooper

Profile:
Re: 4 Months in Crossfit

Im by no means a nutritionalist or an expert in "lifestyle changes" (diets).... but heres my 2 cents.

Post workout you should be intaking a protein shake and aminos.

Personally I use a pre-workout. If youre goal is losing weight, dont get a pre workout with creatine or sugars. It'll retain a lot of water and defeat the purpose of you looking thin.

Diet wise, stick to paleo 80/20. 80% of the time be strict, the other 20% eat a cheat meal. Just dont over do it man. You should be eating every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism going.

I was 222 lbs 5 weeks ago. Right now I'm +/-199 lbs. I basically did everything Im telling you. Of course with a lot of running, swimming and crossfit. The best advice I got was not to consume any type of sugar or carb after 7pm.

Good luck man!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Victor Goodman

Profile:

Thanks for the tips. I just started using a pre-workout because my wife and I go train at 6:00 PM after I get home from work, so I feel like I need the energy boost. Is there anything else I can take pre-workout that will give me that boost but doesn't have creatine in it?

Like I said, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to supplementation, so any help would be appreciated.

My goal is sub 200 when it's all said and done. Maybe I can get lower than that. It's harder to do when you're 39 years old.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

If you want the energy boost but not the extra stuff, you could always just go for coffee.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Victor Goodman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
If you want the energy boost but not the extra stuff, you could always just go for coffee.
I'm one of those weird people that isn't affected by caffeine except in very large doses and I don't want to drink any Monster energy drinks or anything like that.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Tim Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Goodman View Post
I'm one of those weird people that isn't affected by caffeine except in very large doses and I don't want to drink any Monster energy drinks or anything like that.
I know Adren.O.lyn Cuts by Black Market is creatine free. Theres others out there but this is what I use. I'll look into other PWOs for ya.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Dominic Parker

Profile:

Have you considered using a zone protocol with your Paleo? Base zone is a great starting point.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Victor Goodman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cooper View Post
I know Adren.O.lyn Cuts by Black Market is creatine free. Theres others out there but this is what I use. I'll look into other PWOs for ya.
Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Parker View Post
Have you considered using a zone protocol with your Paleo? Base zone is a great starting point.
No. I haven't looked into it. What's a good place to go to get the specifics?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Phil Washlow

Profile:

I would not stress over the weight loss stopping, you said that your lifts are going up and that you are feeling fitter. Those are the things you should be focusing on and the weight loss will come with it. Since your numbers are improving I would guess that you are still losing fat and replacing the weight with muscle. Don't get discouraged, just keep eating well and working hard.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Oliver Bradley

Profile:

I know I might get flamed for this but I don't think the zone is not necessary or even helpful for someone on paleo. I would recommend trying something like the renegade diet - its simple and can be used for efficient fat loss or muscle gain.