CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Steven Ngo

Profile:
Crossfit is everywhere (even in Italian prison)

Apologies if this has been posted but I thought it was a great testimonial:

Made Strong Through Weakness: How CrossFit Transformed an Italian Prison (w/f s)

Quote:
Due to the fact it is a controlled environment, no outside gear is allowed and everything needed for our workouts had to be found inside the prison walls....

...Luckily the prison teaches crafts, so we chose to have a smith, carpenter, and welder build our gear. We created a long bar to be fixed to the wall for pull ups. Unfortunately no rings were allowed because of the straps. We also constructed three plyo boxes with 40/50/60 cm measures. For safety reasons, climbing ropes, jumping ropes, kettlebells, barbells, and dumbbells were not allowed, so we created bottles of water and bags filled with sand as substitution. I’m still lobbying to have tires for the men to flip.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Mark Ayers

Profile:
Re: Crossfit is everywhere (even in Italian prison)

I am employed in corrections also. I have been teaching the basics of crossfit to the trustees under my supervision and today was our first competition and it was wild how intense these guys were. I have the same restrictions as you but a little more difficult so I scaled everything to what was available. Word is beginning to spread to other blocks. My facility is county run and very regimented so it is a great release for these inmates. Tends to keep them sedate so it is a plus for me.......Ed
Old 06-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: Crossfit is everywhere (even in Italian prison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ayers View Post
I am employed in corrections also. I have been teaching the basics of crossfit to the trustees under my supervision and today was our first competition and it was wild how intense these guys were. I have the same restrictions as you but a little more difficult so I scaled everything to what was available. Word is beginning to spread to other blocks. My facility is county run and very regimented so it is a great release for these inmates. Tends to keep them sedate so it is a plus for me.......Ed
i could easily see that from a bunch of guys in prison, and i dont mean that necessarily in a demeaning manner.