CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #331
Diana Alt

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Burns View Post
Wait..... So you're a judge and your "home" affiliate is competing in the region, yet, you still feel the need to offer predictions?
I didn't offer predictions. I said who I hoped would qualify. Big difference.

Also, for the record, I consulted with head judges about every team heat I judged, due to the participation of my home gym and some athletes on other teams I know personally. I offered to recuse myself completely from judging top 10 teams today because my team was sitting in 7th and I didn't want any semblance of impropriety. They wanted my mad skillz on the floor for event 6 and hand picked the appropriate team for my to judge based on the situation. My judge group did not judge the final event, and if they had I would have insisted on recusing myself even if it meant leaving for the day.

I've reached the stage in doing this work where there are not many top athletes in the region (at least for north central me but starting to be other regions too) that I don't know from competitions. I take my personal integrity and my responsibilities as a judge very seriously.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #332
Jacob Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Alt View Post
I didn't offer predictions. I said who I hoped would qualify. Big difference.

Also, for the record, I consulted with head judges about every team heat I judged, due to the participation of my home gym and some athletes on other teams I know personally. I offered to recuse myself completely from judging top 10 teams today because my team was sitting in 7th and I didn't want any semblance of impropriety. They wanted my mad skillz on the floor for event 6 and hand picked the appropriate team for my to judge based on the situation. My judge group did not judge the final event, and if they had I would have insisted on recusing myself even if it meant leaving for the day.

I've reached the stage in doing this work where there are not many top athletes in the region (at least for north central me but starting to be other regions too) that I don't know from competitions. I take my personal integrity and my responsibilities as a judge very seriously.
Since you're a regional judge, I would honestly keep personal hopes/predictions off of a public forum.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #333
Diana Alt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Burns View Post
Since you're a regional judge, I would honestly keep personal hopes/predictions off of a public forum.
Your opinion isn't nearly as relevant to me as you might think. And sniping at people who give up immense amounts of time and energy so that others can enjoy fair competition is poor form.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #334
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Diana,
From your other comments on the forum, I think you're great. If you enjoy what you do, and feel good about keeping your judging accurate, don't worry about the criticism.

Hypothetical question - how many judges out on the floor are also CrossFit fans? I would guess most of them. How many judges are affiliate owners who may have athletes from their own gym competing at a competition they are judging? I'm sure that happens all the time. I've known some.

I can understand Jacob's point, but I just don't think it's possible for CrossFit to staff enough judges who are as impartial as he's suggesting they should be. CrossFit calls on the community to volunteer as judges, of course there will be partial judges out on the floor. Do they expect to be honest in their judging? Yes. Do they have a supervising floor judge? Yes. To be honest, I think the quality of judging would be worse if non-CrossFitters were doing all the judging.

(A little side note - I was a little bugged by the supervising judge who seemed to single out Jeff Evans in event 7 in rounds two and three. He called a no rep on the last round, moving Jeff from 1st to 5th place in that event, and 6th overall - missing his spot to the Games. It was a good judging call as the standard this year says both hands have to return to the rope before you can use your feet to descend. I just don't understand why the supervising judge would hang out for two rounds on Jeff Evans' lane and not let the lane judge make that call. https://youtu.be/TybVNP86ulU?t=1h23m54s (wfs))

Anyway, have fun. Do good. As far as I'm concerned, your comments and predictions are welcome here.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #335
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Holy crap that women's event 7 finish in the meridian!!

.2 seconds between 1, 2 ,3 . The Icelandic are amazing and Briggs held her own. The angle from the games feed didn't do it justice, gotta dig around Instagram for a better view with all 3 (Sam, Annie, and sara) in the frame.

Is this Erla's helgadottir's 1st year competing?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #336
Diana Alt

Profile:

Chris, thanks so much for your comments. I would have made a few of the same points, but I had to board the plane this morning.

There were about 50 judges, counting the team leads and head judges on the floor. A significant number had athletes or friends competing, and I'd say every single one had their preferences on who would qualify. I'd also say they were all committed to fair competition too. The competition director, who is responsible for all things related to judging recruitment and coordination, has been running things for Central East and now Central for years and does a good job of recruiting people who take the job seriously, and deals with it promptly when there are issues. I'd say on average, the people I talked to were judging their 3rd regional event, a fair number have judged games, and quite a few have judged other large comps like Granite Games or WODapalooza. At this level, you don't get many people who are star struck judging because most of us have been there, done that.

I haven't watched the Jeff Evans thing yet because I was busy with work before going to Central, but a few of my friends in the judging community have chimed in and a lot of them feel like it didn't look right on video but that maybe something else was going on. I know that the head judges from HQ have told war stories about times when a judge that performed well all weekend suddenly started having issues and they had to step in and take over the lane. I have also heard of that kind of thing happening when an athlete was acting like an *** to his judge. I gotta say, I had the job to judge the guy who was sitting in 6th on the final and it was the most nerve wracking thing I did all weekend, partially because of the thing with Evans and partly because judging leg less rope climbs sucks.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #337
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I don't see the reason for this part of the legless rope climb standard:

Quote:
The athlete must ... return both hands to the rope before engaging their legs or the ascent will not count.
When I saw the no rep call on Jeff Evans, at first I was irritated because I didn't know the full standard. He was definitely legless going up, and definitely touched the placard at the top. When I went back to review the standard, and rewatched the video, the judge made a good call, according to the standard. Jeff engages his feet on the rope a split second before his hand returns to the rope for the descent.

Bottom line - athletes need to know the standard and meet the standard.

I still have two questions - why is this part of the rope climb standard? What was going on with the lane judge and floor judge during Jeff Evans event? Maybe something like Diana suggested.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #338
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ngo View Post

.2 seconds between 1, 2 ,3 . The Icelandic are amazing and Briggs held her own. The angle from the games feed didn't do it justice, gotta dig around Instagram for a better view with all 3 (Sam, Annie, and sara) in the frame.

Yeah, that heat was crazy.

I can't figure out what Sam Briggs did there. Do you have a link for a video with a better view?

Usually in a 21-15-9 workout, whoever gets to the round of 9 first will win. Briggs got to the round of 9 in fourth place. Helgadottir was in first place and go a no-rep on the rope climb. Somehow Briggs passed Thorisdottir and Sigmundsdottir on a single rope climb. I'd love to see a good video that shows that.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:46 PM   #339
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ngo View Post

Nope, actually fifth gig to the Games: 3rd time as an individual and twice in the teams. She seems like she doesn't like to make a number out of herself
Old 05-31-2016, 07:36 PM   #340
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Yeah, that heat was crazy.

I can't figure out what Sam Briggs did there. Do you have a link for a video with a better view?

Usually in a 21-15-9 workout, whoever gets to the round of 9 first will win. Briggs got to the round of 9 in fourth place. Helgadottir was in first place and go a no-rep on the rope climb. Somehow Briggs passed Thorisdottir and Sigmundsdottir on a single rope climb. I'd love to see a good video that shows that.
Hopefully these show up correctly (both wfs)

This ones from behind the rig, with a better view of the climb:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF__uAOFKIw/

This is from the side and and a better view of the thrusters / finish:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGAG4QTNm4x/

Sam was a full thruster rep behind but that turned out to be beneficial as she saw she could catch up on the rope with a sprint (Annie did the same but with a slower trot). I don't think Sara was tired but just walked to the rope not realizing the other two were pushing it. She turns and sees Annie and is prolly think "damn!gotta go!". They hit the ground at the same time and looks like Sam was just a touch faster on the final sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Aaltonen View Post
Nope, actually fifth gig to the Games: 3rd time as an individual and twice in the teams. She seems like she doesn't like to make a number out of herself
Thanks! Count me in as a new fan of hers