CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #341
Jon Campbell

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
I don't see the reason for this part of the legless rope climb standard:

When I saw the no rep call on Jeff Evans, at first I was irritated because I didn't know the full standard. He was definitely legless going up, and definitely touched the placard at the top. When I went back to review the standard, and rewatched the video, the judge made a good call, according to the standard. Jeff engages his feet on the rope a split second before his hand returns to the rope for the descent.

Bottom line - athletes need to know the standard and meet the standard.

I still have two questions - why is this part of the rope climb standard? What was going on with the lane judge and floor judge during Jeff Evans event? Maybe something like Diana suggested.
My guess is because you could have someone make the touch that wouldn't be able to do so if they had to re-establish control of the rope without using their legs. Almost a lunge at the touch, then grip with their legs. I get why it's the standard just not doing a good job of explaining my thoughts.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #342
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ngo View Post
This ones from behind the rig, with a better view of the climb:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF__uAOFKIw/
Thanks for the link. That shows all top four athletes through the finish.

The little details that helped Sam win that event:

- She dropped the bar on her last thruster rep while Sara and Annie set the bar down.
- Sam ran back to the rope while Sara trotted then walked, and Annie's jog was slower.
- The climbs were about the same speed, but it looks like that last grab at the top was faster for Sam.
- They came off the climb almost simultaneously, and Sam outsprinted them to the finish mat. I can't imagine what their legs felt like doing a sprint at the end of that weekend of Regional events.

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 06-01-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #343
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

If there was one thing I disliked about Regional coverage it was the mess (sorry, but I have no other way to say it) they did with nationalities. Maybe a European problem. I mean, how can you comment Adrian Mundweiler being one of first athletes from Switzerland to make it to the Games and consistently turn him Spanish during lane assignments and results??? They even turned Katrin Tanja Davidsdottir into an American during the first day before they fixed it (guess someone wished that?). I definitely doubt all the athletes they marked as UAE or KUW really are citizens of those countries. They might live there, but that is something different. At least Mikko Aronpää is from Finland...
Old 06-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #344
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
My guess is because you could have someone make the touch that wouldn't be able to do so if they had to re-establish control of the rope without using their legs. Almost a lunge at the touch, then grip with their legs. I get why it's the standard just not doing a good job of explaining my thoughts.
To me it seems like you've done the work once you've touched the placard at the top. That should be a full rep, regardless of how you descend. I think the descent standards should be based on safety. I understand why they have to show control below the 9' mark so they're not dropping from too high.

You're saying that someone who is just to the brink of failing might do one last lunge pull to touch the placard, and immediately save a fall by using their legs before their hand returns to the rope. Otherwise an athlete would have to show enough strength and control to return the hand to the rope before using their legs.

I wonder if this is related to Lindsey Valenzuela's no rep in the 2014 Regionals. https://youtu.be/VvxOpL-refQ?t=12m02s (wfs) Apparently her legs came close enough together right at the top of the climb that the judge called a no rep. Maybe they appealed and debated whether her hand touched first. Now to eliminate that debate, the standard became what it is just to ensure that the timing of the touch at the top and the descent with legs is more separated. It may have been intended to make judging a rope climb easier, but I don't think it has. I think it adds a detail that makes the judge seem like the bad guy when enforced.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #345
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
I think disqualifying the whole team is an overly harsh penalty for one person refusing to take a drug test. Then again, Laura Phelps-Sweatt is the affiliate manager, so her actions are going to have some repercussions on the whole team.
I know this was a few pages back, but.....

She wasn't able to meet the testers at her home to take the test because she was in the hospital having complications with a miscarriage. I think that this site didn't discuss that part of the story.

Not saying it isn't obvious she has used at one point, but for the way this one went down, not the best example of how the drug policy should be ran I don't think.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #346
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

That would be sad if she was in the hospital when they wanted to test her.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #347
Christopher Morris

Profile:

If there hadn't been a miscarriage and the drug test passed with no problems, was she planning to compete at Regionals while pregnant?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #348
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Not saying it isn't obvious she has used at one point
Laura Phelps-Sweatt coached my wife on powerlifting about seven years ago. Today I looked up Laura's Instagram feed, and she has leaned down a lot compared to her lifting-only days. She looks a lot more like a CrossFitter and less like a competitive powerlifter.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:06 AM   #349
Alex Burden

Profile:

Unless she and CFHQ give the true story we can only speculate.

It is not as if CFHQ is like WADA and will wait at your doorstep and really cross the line.

There is more to the truth that is not coming out. If she is not saying anything herself to defend herself then that would also be wierd. If you are right or something like this happened i am sure she would be the first to defend herself.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #350
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Tia-Clair Toomey -- possible CF Games and Olympics athlete in the same year?

(wfs) http://roadtorio.awf.com.au/Editions/June-2016/aid/1132

Quote:
The 22-year-old from Gladstone only started weightlifting seriously 18 months ago, and had been juggling her cross-fit and weightlifting careers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thatsincedible.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	13956