CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Mike Burgener

Profile:
go to www.mikesgym.org and then to programs for 4 different squatting programs i use with my athletes at various times of the year. coach gayle hatch's 12 wk program, my 10 sets x 3 program, rark rippetoe's program and a generic periodization program all on a xcell spreadsheet that will calculate your wts to use after your max has been put in. comments welcome
Old 12-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Thanks very much! Any suggestions on who should use which programs? Like beginners should start with one vs. another?

Also, with these I've always wondered, do you update the maximums as you achieve them? So the program weights keep on changing?

Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Jason Carey

Profile:
Coach B, first off I'd like to say thanks again for your coaching expertise at the CF San Diego meet last month (I was the newbie with the small total and the 3-legged dog in tow). I really appreciated your taking the time to help someone just getting started, and the tips and advice were invaluable. I've put about 8kg on my snatch and 10kg on the C&J in the past month, mostly through making a few small changes at your suggestion. So THANK YOU! for your time.

I started your 10x3 program this week, and had one question. What's the recommendation for add-on work on squat days? OK to work in some other movements, or squat and go home? Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Mike Humphries

Profile:
a friend of mine wants some sort of program for the deadlift, bench press, squat, press, etc.

i showed him the spreadsheets, he said it was just for squats and he needed something for all the lifts.

my question is, can you use these spreadsheets for other lifts? if that's not recommended, does anyone know of similar spreadsheets for the other lifts? thanks for any help.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #5
Jim Lark

Profile:
Mike,

I noticed the loads start off pretty easy. I am 165lbs with a 235lb max back squat and 185lb front squat (and strangely, a 195lb overhead squat - go figure). I am stuck at a plateau. By week 7, we're up to 90%. I know I can already do that now; I'm just stuck at 235lbs.

All squats are butt below knees, feet shoulder width apart, feet angled out approx. 30 degrees.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
William Winger

Profile:
Any chance the HATCH and BURGENER programs can be done three days a week? Looking at them it seems doable, have you had an athlete try it? I am somewhat used to high volume training.

Also, what gains would you expect from each of these? HATCH seems to have a built in 103% BS attempt. BURGENER has a 104% FS attempt. Rip only has a top set of 6x1 at 96%, and "vol" maxes with a double at 95%.

I have tried, with great success, the "smolov squat rountine." You can see it here:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/80/
(fam/work safe).

All that aside, thanks for this. I'll probably start in on one of these in January.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
the more complete (family/work safe) link is here: Coach B. knows squat