CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Lynn Andrew Crane

Profile:  
Like many other newbie Crossfiters, I too have been lurking around these pages for a while and have some questions I am hoping someone will help me with.

My first question is how to interpret some of the WODs. For instance, the WOD for yesterday (3/3/06) was Overhead squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1. I understand what an overhead squat is but it is the rest of the WOD directions I do not understand. Are the 1's and dashes telling me 1 repetition and ten sets?

My last question has to with the WOD for 2/26/06. What is a back squat? I have looked for this exercise under the "Exercise" portion of the web site but it was not listed.

I appreciate any help provided.

Lynn
Old 03-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
John Velandra

Profile:
Lynn,
Welcome aboard...
Yes, overhead squats in that manner means that you will be doing 10 sets of 1 rep. Ideally at you maximal weight. However, if you are just learning the movement, a PVC pipe, broom stick or other lighter weight bar will suffice for improving your form and technique. Believe me, it's more challenging than it looks on paper; I was used to squating all my teen & adult life and these humbled me bigtime (as has all of the CrossFit training - LOL).

Secondly, back squats are nothing more than your "regular" squat with the bar resting across your traps.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
John Vivian

Profile:
Lynn, if you ever have questions about the WoD instructions, you can also post to the "comments" section where you are sure to get some helpful advice.

i'm also going to reiterate what John said regarding the OHSes. Start with a PVC pipe or wooden dowel before moving on to heavier weights. You will need decent shoulder flexibility in order to be able to handle loads during OHSes and the safest way to do that is to practice with a nearly non-existant load. Check your form in the mirror or have someone watch and make sure it looks like the OHS demonstrated here:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

john
Old 03-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
Lynn Andrew Crane

Profile:  
John and John,

I appreciate you taking time to reply and providing clarification. I am looking forward to Crossfit.

Lynn