CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Parker Gates

Profile:
Well, I've been lurking around in the shadows reading everyone's messages and starting to follow the Crossfit workout's and I'm in love!
I do have a question though. Where do I start? With the WOD's, the Zone, Paleo, or all of the above? Is there anorder to integrate this in to my life?
I have started by following the Outside magazine article 1 week sample workout. Am I on the right track?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Parker, at a start do the WOD. Scale as necessary but do the WOD. Focus on getting consistent before you ratchet up the intensity too far. In your online time in between WOD's read up about the Zone, buy the Journals relating to the Zone and read Larry Lindenman's comments here: (http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/20296.html).

The zone covers the macro-nutrient proportions you should be eating (protein/ carbs/ fats) as well as how much you should be eating. It doesn't really dictate the quality or type of food you should be eating.

That's where Paleo comes in which suggests eating the sorts of foods our ancestors relied on (I think). Some here have adopted a Zone-Paleo hybrid but what you do will largely depend on where you are now.

Make small changes, make them habit then make further small changes. Very few people can successfully adopt entire new lifestyles in one shot.

Hope this was some help.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Parker,
You are on the right track because you started. Doing always trumps talking to paraphrase Coach. If you need help with the workouts we post scaled versions every day here.
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
There is a back issue of the journal (#21) that deals with the Zone. Here is the link:
http://store.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F3474690&rnd=5009186&rrc=N&af fl=&cip=204.250.153.2&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=cfj021 &cat=cfjbak&catstr=HOME:cfjbak

Breaks it down and makes it easy to follow.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Parker Gates

Profile:
Guys, thanks for the input! I know this is repetitive info you're dishing out.
1 more question, should I do JUST the WOD or can I do a little more? I find that after I do the full "Crossfit Official Warmup" and the WOD I could probably do a little more.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Depends. I tell people at Brand X that if they want to do extra stuff they should work on skills like hnadstands or L sits. Work on O lift form with just a PVC pipe and such. I'm not a big believer in draining the gas tank day after day. I think your performance will suffer in the long run.

(Message edited by jeff_m on February 28, 2006)
Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Parker, you can do more and as you adapt to the intensity of the workouts it is recommended but don't be too hasty adding to the mix. First thought would be are you pushing yourself sufficiently on the WOD? There is a lot of difference between a 6 and a 12 minute Fran.

If you are maxing and find you are still recovering well, and able to bounce back day after day then is the time to add some more. This would be a great opportunity to either learn a new sport, practice an existing sport or maybe work on your weaknesses.

Are you strong but gas easily, does your gymnastics or Oly-lifting need work? Biggest improvements will always come from working your weaknesses instead of your strengths.

Just my 0.02c.

Cheers, kempie

PS I agree with Jeff, congrats on just getting started. That is a huge step!!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
Martin Schap

Profile:
Parker, you've gotten very good advice from Jeff and Chris. I've always worked with the idea that it's better to be 10% undertrained than 1% overtrained. I forget where I heard that but it's not mine. Anyway, that being said I've been waiting until the Crossfit day 3's and then doing extra work according to how I feel. For instance, you may notice that Crossfit seems to almost never include any heavy bench press, and even though I know why we don't do it (it has virtually no function in the real world) I like it and I like the way it makes my chest look, so I do it. In addition, I've been practising my back squats, trying to stay on my heels and get below parallel on each rep. This has made a big difference. Overall, my extra workouts are usually comprised of practising the power and olympic lifts. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:
I have been at this for about 6 weeks.

I started by doing the complete WOD, no matter how long it took. I scaled the weights for my ability.

You will find that the gravitron is your friend for dips and pullups.

In 5 weeks time i:
- lost 6.5 lbs
- went from zero unassisted pullups to 10 dead hang. rready to learn kipping
- can already feel increased energy and endurance

Go for it. Throw yourself at the WOD, and pant through it. If you really apply yourself, and push as hard as you truly can, you will achieve a lot of fitness in a short time.

I love crossfit
Old 03-08-2006, 08:04 AM   #9
Parker Gates

Profile:
Thanks Bryan! Thats inspirational to hear about your progress!
I've only been at it for 3 weeks and am already loving it!
And Martin, thats a great line about overtraining/undertraining. Thank you.
Everytime I hit this site during the day I get all fired up!