CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Re: Pendlay NEXGEN Bearing class vs. Bushing class

David,

There are two possibilities of why you could have heard that.

Possibility one: When I first started selling the Econ bar (at that time with a "crossfit discount" which led many to call it the CrossFit bar) I asked around in the CF community about what type of knurl would be preferred, the feedback I got was that since it was a general purpose bar that would be used for both PL type movements and OL type movements, the knurl should be a compromise, somewhere in the middle of an OL and a PL knurl. We sold a lot of those bars with that type of knurl, and eventually got a lot of feedback on it, and it seems that in fact a softer knurl would have been more preferred. We changed it to a softer OL style knurl, but not before a lot of bars were made and sold. You might have heard something based off of an experience someone had with one of those early bars.

Possibility two: Mostly on the lower end bars (Econ and HD, not the Pendlay bars) we have had some variation in the knurl from batch to batch. Some of the bars are simply knurled heavier than others. I guess you would call this a quality control problem. There are some bars out there with a slightly heavier knurl than I think is ideal, and some with a slightly lighter knurl than I think is ideal. We have put a lot of investment into the manufacturing process to solve this. This is one of the things that is going to be much better on the NexGen bars.

As I type this, beside me on a table are about 9 or 10 18" bars with different test knurls, and I have a couple of bars in the house that were built solely to see if a particular knurl pattern felt the same when a person chalked up and lifted something on it as when you just feel it on a short test shaft. So we have put just as much effort into selecting the absolute BEST knurl with the NexGen bars as we did with the original line of bars, the difference is that this time we have a MUCH improved ability to make sure that every single bar made has virtually the EXACT same knurl as the one on the little bar sitting here with the 25/2 code on it that I selected as the best of all the test knurl samples.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Scott Todnem

Profile:

Just wondering if the NEXGEN bars mean that the Econ bar is no longer available...? I have an HD already, looking to get another.. for the price and my use as a CrossFitter, it's perfect. Any left?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Scott,

I think we still have some of the Econ bars in inventory, but that model is being discontinued,

Glenn
Old 06-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
Tom Catey

Profile:

Glenn,

I just purchased an HD Powerlifting bar from your site. I assumed there were no more HD Olympic bars available. Can you tell me the basic difference between your HD Powerlifting bar and the Olympic bar? I assumed that it was the marks on the bar but I could not find an answer to my question. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Anyone else have problems viewing photos on the pendlaybarbell site?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #16
Kris Reeves

Profile:

Just out of curiosity, how does the original Lifetime Guarantee/Warranty carry over since the merger with MuscleDriver and now the discontinuation of some barbells and evolution of the NexGen series?

I was reading the MD site and it jumped out to me that under the warranty section there is a warranty card now shipped with the barbell to be filled out and returned to activate the warranty.

Is there anything I need to do for my 2 Men's training bars that I bought a couple of years ago (prior to the MD merger) that never shipped with warranty cards? Or is the original warranty not applicable?

Thanks!

Last edited by Kris Reeves : 06-09-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #17
Ardi Shero

Profile:

I have a question Glenn.
What is the difference between the old HD bar and the new Nexgen HD bar?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #18
Ardi Shero

Profile:

Anyone know the answer?
Old 06-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Jason Jamora

Profile:

About the warranty...I talked to Jason Hughes because I had the same question about the HD bar I bought from him. The warranty carries over.

The difference between the old HD bar and the Nexgen HD bar are on the Pendlay website. New finish, lubricant, etc. just check out the website http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/peneba.html WFS
Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
Jeremy Shepard

Profile:

Glenn, can you comment on a comparison between the NexGen bushing class 20kg bar and your old 20kg weightlifting bar (the one right under the Elite)? I'm mainly interested in any differences in knurling and spin.