CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Chris Puckett

Profile:
skateboarding

For anyone wanting a fun experience and use the benefits of Crossfit, learn how to skateboard. Coincidentally, where Crossfit was born happens to be a skating mecca, with two of the best skateparks in the world in SC and Scots Valley. I skateboarded from about 87-94, and I recently picked it up again after becoming completely burnt from bicycle racing. And skateboarding is a lot like Crossfit, it mixes balance, form, muscular endurance, is inexpensive and an hour skateboarding hard can illicit a visit from Pukey. Go to a skatepark with your kids, or roll around in front of your house and learn to balance and push, and learn how to ollie and carve a bowl. It will make you a much stronger snowboarder(ever see Shawn White skate?). Why log 6 hours of "LSD" long slow distance miles on a Saturday in upstate NY in Dec., when I can skate or WOD for an hour and get back to my family and have 10x more fun(and still be as nearly a strong of cyclist??).
Old 11-30-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: skateboarding

Another fellow skater. I was wondering about this topic also, and I'm happy to see someone address it.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
Gary Wimsett

Profile:

Chris,

Any recommendations on length, kind of board? Play it Again always has some scuffed up boards lying around. I've been checking out some of the longer ones. I'm presuming that, like surfing, the longer boards are a little smoother, easier to balance for us big and tall guys? I think it's a great idea for balance, ankle flexibity and strength, endurance and FUN. Maybe something to add to my Xmas wishlist.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
Nick Cruz

Profile:

It all depends on the type of skating you want to do. The long boards will be much more smooth and are more akin to riding a longboard surfing. You just kind of sit back and relax. If you want to do ollies and tricks and what not then you will need to get a board with a double tail (the nose and tail look similar and curve up). This is where the action is. while you can just cruise around on them they are made for tricks, skate park riding, ramp riding, bowl riding etc.

Ive been skating since about 1990. I was a little street urchin and grew up skating the urban environments before they had skate parks for us (Ive been chased by more cops, security guards, and rogue gangs than I care to try and count.) I work right down the street from a public skate park that I have been meaning to visit because I havent been an avid skater for a few years now.

BTW, snatches and cleans are PERFECT for increasing ollie height!!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Craig Brown

Profile:

Started park skating at 38 when I was in Arizona. Great fun, hard work.

Craig
Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Chris Puckett

Profile:

I am a bit partial, but I would say long boards are more for chilling out and just cruising unless you are skating around town, pushing a long way. You cant really skate skateparks with a long board, ollie or learn tricks. Long boards have become very popular lately, but practically you can do a lot more with a regular deck, and have much more physical experience. I would go to your local skateboard shop or(if you are long way from one) one of the mail order sites, active mail order or ccs, and order one of their "completes", a typical 33" freestyle skateboard for around $100. Get the biggest wheels you can, they roll faster as its popular to have small wheels for better flipping tricks. They will ship it all put together, you can take it out and adjust the trucks.

Last edited by Chris Puckett : 11-30-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I tried snowboarding once. Down a short driveway. A somewhat painful experience if I remember correctly.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Craig Brown

Profile:

I ride an OMA deck, and it rocks. I have the 'old style pool deck'...

oldmanarmy

I like a 9x33 with some concave and some tail & nose kick- lets me lock into it a bit. Indy 169's, and the ****fire Blackfartz wheels...tasty...you will hurt less with big wheels, and pads are your friend if you are old.

Craig

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 11-30-2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Unqualified link
Old 11-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Nick Cruz

Profile:

Craig thanks for the WFS link! Ive never heard of them but Im glad I know about them now. Though, Im not sure Im ready to be a member of the "old man" army. However, I did read their bio, and I DEFINITELY fit the bill, so maybe I just need to face the facts =(.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
Chris Puckett

Profile:

thanks Craig, the Bill Danforth interview is good