CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #11
Chris Richardson

Profile:
Re: CrossFit affiliate lawsuit against Steven Devor, Michael Smith, and NSCA

Haters gonna hate.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Russell Berger

Profile:

The Blaze posted an article on this story today: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...n=ShareButtons (WFS)
Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
Russell Berger

Profile:

I get a lesson in search engine algorithms from this experience too. It turns out that the 18,000 results listed in Google for a search of this study's title is an estimate based on key words. The actual number of places this study shows up online is probably closer to 400. That correction aside, the study is ubiquitous and the fake injury data from it is presented as fact in virtually every current CrossFit story in the media.

This brings up what is probably the most troubling aspect of this case to me. When Devor finished his interview with me, he was unable to answer basic questions about the origin of his data, and asked me for the time to speak with Michael Smith, who he assured me would have good answers. Three days later I received a formal email stating that neither of these men would communicate with me further. I interpreted this as "we've been caught." If this was truly just an accident in recording data, wouldn't the correct course of action at this point be a retraction, or at least laying low and avoiding attention to the bad data? That's not what happened. Devor spoke with numerous mainstream publications, and defended his work as fact in each (including the 16% number).

http://www.mensjournal.com/essential...s-20130718(WFS)

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/pt365...ness-fads/(WFS)

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness...-CrossFit.html (WFS)

In other words, Devor appears to have known his study included fabricated data, and supported it anyway. Why? I believe Devor's interest in preserving the appearance of his study as accurate was about propelling his career. I think he so enjoyed the notoriety and exposure he received (and still receives) from this study that he was willing to maintain a lie to continue to receive these benefits, even if it meant doing so on the back of a small business owner.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

2 out of those 3 links are broken (404). I wonder if they removed them on purpose from their websites.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #15
Russell Berger

Profile:

Something odd happened when I pasted those links into my reply. Here are the correct versions:

http://www.mensjournal.com/essential...tness-20130718 (WFS)

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/pt365...-fitness-fads/ (WFS)

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness...-CrossFit.html (WFS)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Thanks. It looks like the first links had (wfs) included in the URL.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #17
Russell Greene

Profile:

It is clear why CrossFit 614 chose to sue Devor and the National Strength and Conditioning Association. The organizations supposedly responsible for ensuring the ethics of exercise science have failed. Again.

Steven Devor is a fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine. He also published his study in the NSCA's Journal of Strength and Conditioning. To this day, Devor remains an ACSM fellow and the study is still published in the NSCA's journal.

The ACSM claims that a "Purpose of ACSM Fellowship" is "to encourage high standards of professional responsibility." Further, they state that "persons applying for Fellow status should have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical conduct."

As for the NSCA, their About section states: "we support and disseminate research-based knowledge and its practical application to improve athletic performance and fitness."

Fraudulent injury claims are neither "ethical conduct" nor "research-based." Why have the NSCA and ACSM not lived up to their alleged values?

In early 2013, the NSCA released "Crossfit-based high-intensity power training improves maximal aerobic fitness and body composition" ahead of print. It had not yet been officially published. On May 22, 2013, Russell Berger published "NSCA “CrossFit Study” Fraud?" in the CrossFit Journal. His work included the testimony from the subjects of the study, the study's own data coordinator, and an interview with Dr. Steven Devor. Six months later, the NSCA published the Devor study with the same claim about "overuse or injury." Russell Berger then contacted the JSCR's editor-in-chief William Kraemer and informed him what the Devor study's data coordinator and subjects had said. Kraemer did not think this information was worth looking into.

What about the ACSM? Devor still lists that he is an ACSM fellow in his biographies.

Not only has the ACSM failed to investigate Devor's alleged fraud, but ACSM fellows continue to claim that data shows that CrossFit is dangerous.

This week Neal Pire, "a sports conditioning expert with the American College of Sports Medicine" claimed that "the data out about CrossFit does show that an inordinate number of people have injured themselves."

The only published experimental study that would support his claim is Devor's.

If the ACSM and NSCA do not promote and publish evidence-based exercise research, why do they exist at all?

(links are w/f safe)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #18
Randy Vest

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
I had a potential member ask me about it yesterday. It gets exhausting defending what we do to people that have no idea what it is we really do.

Completely agree! I want to share CrossFit with everybody & it is for all fitness levels, but some individuals just can't or refuse to grasp the concept of what we do. For these, I always imply Coach Glassman's advice from a nutrition seminar a few years ago...."Invincible Ignorance" Like the old saying goes....you can't win them all.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #19
Russell Berger

Profile:

Interestingly, the technical term for what Dr. Steven Devor and Dr. Michael Smith did in their now-infamous CrossFit study is known as "Scientific misconduct." Wikipedia defines this as "....the violation of the standard codes of scholarly conduct and ethical behavior in professional scientific research."

It also turns out this is painfully common. The Scientist has actually dedicated a blog to examples of such misconduct. I wonder if Devor will make their next top-10 list.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...tions-of-2013/ (WFS)

It is also appears that publicly criticizing papers makes it far more likely they will be retracted. We can only hope in this case. http://www.nature.com/news/publicly-...racted-1.14979 (WFS)
Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #20
Alexander Granick

Profile:

It's been more than 28 days. What did the defendants decide to do?